Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help with tough decision

by justin144 / May 3, 2007 2:48 AM PDT

Alrighty, my gf's dad gave me one of his unused pcs. Its a custom built rig.
Specs: P4 2.4 Ghz,
32 mb Nvidia x something card, but its very crappy not worth mentioning
1 gig ram
160 gig hardrive
and the mother board is AGP/ Intel oriented

Noticing that for me to upgrade my AGP car would cost some extra bucks then Ex16 type card puts me in a perdicament. Should i just upgrade say to the 6800 gs agp, or buy a new mobo and a PCi Express x 16? Which might allow me to make the system last a little longer.

Now my question is:
Well what id like to know is if I were to go the new mobo and vid card way would I need to upgrade any other parts? for instance the proc. or ram or are they fairly universal? I know my specs are not very specific now, but if needed I can check when I am home seeing how I am at school now.

Also I only plan to spend around 200 and under for the vid card

Thanks =)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with tough decision
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with tough decision
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For a freebie, the 6800 gs agp is a good idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 3:56 AM PDT

I'd do that. The 2.4 GHz P4 is a little old but that 1GB RAM helps. It should run games from 2006 and prior just fine.

Bob

Collapse -
My 2 bits.
by ahtoi / May 3, 2007 4:09 AM PDT

Are you a gamer? If not then what you have is plenty good. The only thing that you can upgrade would probably your agp card if you chose to; but if you want to do anything more, my suggestion is just to build another computer.

Collapse -
Monthly update on best AGP cards for the money
by linkit / May 3, 2007 4:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
yup
by justin144 / May 3, 2007 5:18 AM PDT

Yup ima gamer and i would like to build a new rig but moneys to tight for that. But do you think its worth it to get a new agp card for 170 or get a Mobo with Pci x16 and a similiar vid card for 100 since there are markdowns between agp and pci

Collapse -
Can be a surprise.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: yup

For instance the OS may not install if it's locked to the motherboard.

Bob

Collapse -
Is that a socket 478 CPU?
by Ray Harinec / May 3, 2007 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: yup

If so, there may not be maqny mobo options available other than Micro ATX.

Collapse -
Yea...
by justin144 / May 3, 2007 5:37 AM PDT

I was considering that, but I believe her dad has "A copy" to gimme. But i was checking out the agp link above and noticed i can still play very well on this system with just a new agp card. Then when moneys coming in more than going out i can just build a whole new system.

Im leaning towards a Nvidia Gs or Radeon X1950 pro, ill do some research see if some bargains are around =P

Btw any manufactures I should stick with or stay away from? I hear BFG has incredibly bad service

Thx for the responses guys =D

Collapse -
Watch out for bottlenecks
by linkit / May 3, 2007 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Yea...
Collapse -
Oops, I forgot the other article
by linkit / May 3, 2007 6:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
About "A copy" of XP. Can be big trouble.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Yea...

Unless it's a full version, licensed, not a pirate copy it's not worth the hassles people give you. Windows update fails, etc.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?