General discussion

Help with the Dual Op-Sys, How to

hello ppl ...

i need help with installing the Win-7, currently have vista installed on my notebook, i would like to have both in dual-boot config

i got 2 partitions; 140gb and 10gb; OS and recovery repectively;

can anyone guide me through the process please ;

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help with the Dual Op-Sys, How to
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help with the Dual Op-Sys, How to
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
First things first.

This is going to be unsupportable. Since 99.99% of laptops use a restore media or partition you can't repair the Vista OS without damage to Windows 7.

There is also no supportable method to re-size the partitions in these OEM systems.

I made the choice and upgraded my vista laptop to Windows 7 since I knew I was not going back.
Bob

- Collapse -
thx

so is ther no way i can use both win?

thx

- Collapse -
Maybe

But look at others that do this. The screams for help make me say to avoid this when an OEM installed Windows is involved.

- Collapse -
You can, but...

To dual boot:
1.) Repartition the hard drive, splitting the current Vista partition in two, with the new partition to be used for Windows 7.
2.) Use an external CD/DVD drive or a bootable flash drive to install Windows 7. Do not attempt to launch the installer from within Vista as it will replace Vista, not create a dual-boot.

Note, however, that if you ever need to repair/reinstall Vista, you will lose your Windows 7 partition in the process, which is what Bob was referring to. That is the downside to using a manufacturer's OEM version of Windows.

John

CNET Forums

Forum Info