General discussion

Help with starting a new business!

Hello, I am wanting some ideas on how to go about starting a business, since I am new to all of this... I want to start a computer selling business... probably custom built PCs! is there a market for this? if so, How do I get my name out and around?
Thanks for any input!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help with starting a new business!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help with starting a new business!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I'm going to write no. Here's why.

It's likely that you would install Windows. Most of the issues with this is that most of your customers need a lot of support. Since there is no money in the hardware you have to be sure they understand that you provide this much for that much and your rates are this much for that much time, etc.

Now the fun begins. When you find a cranky machine and you turn it on only to find files vanishing will you be ready for the small lawsuit?

Bob

- Collapse -
another question!

wouldn't there be a way to sell some kind of support with the custom built PCs but that would be from some other company? What I am saying is: can I in any way pass on the support side to someone else?

- Collapse -
Dell did that and see what happened!

Yes there are companies in India that do this. But you are the one with the valuable knowledge and ... if you won't stand behind your work then you just reduced the value of your product.

Bob

- Collapse -
AHHHHH!

Wow! You gave me some stuff to chew on Happy I appreciate it!

- Collapse -
are there any companies in your area doing it?

Best thing is to see what companies are already doing it that are successful at it. Lot's of times you can simply back-engineer things and you don't have to stumble and fumble in the dark.

- Collapse -
Great Idea! - It Worked For Michael Dell

Starting a small business is actually pretty hard. Remember to have a TON of determination!!

Two good ideas for you:

If you're going to sell online (which is a no-brainer for a computer related business) then you will need a great website that really sells. One key to having a great site is having a great website hosting compnay.

For a small online business:

http://www.godaddy.com

For an ecommerce related business:

http://www.valueweb.com

For dedicated servers:

http://www.hostmysite.com

Also - to get the word out on your products and services, I have had some success using Google AdWords - keyword based advertising that you pay for only when someone clicks on your ad. You can find the details and sign up here:

https://adwords.google.com/select/Login?sourceid=awo&subid=ww-en-et-ads-r4_f_text&hl=en_us

Good luck and success in your new venture!

- Collapse -
Help with starting a new business

I too am starting a business. I have signed up with a number of company website for free information. A company at www.innoventum.com has sent me some great information to date. You may want to sign up as well.

Chase

- Collapse -
Starting a Business

A resource for starting a small business is the U.S. Small Business Adminstration at www.sba.gov. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a great start up kit on the market for helping small businesses. Dos anyone have any ideas?

Hope this helps. Chase

- Collapse -
greatstart up kit on the market for helping small businesses

Yes, I know of a really good startup kit for new business owners searching for starting a business steps. It gives you simple answers to the question "What do I need to do?" and simple solutions to get there fast. There are resources available that I never would have found on my own. Check out <a href="http://www.quickstarttoolkit.com> www.QuickStartToolkit.com </a>.

Hope this helps.

- Collapse -
Flooded market..

We have been in the buiss since 01 and Dell (among others) was kind enough to run a lot of the competition out of business for us, but it is still a very flooded market. Largest cost will be support. You have the option of outsourcing, but you will find people will be upset by this. They go to a small business for small business values. When forwarded to generic support, they act as if they were let down. We staff in-house support and use the outsourcing warranties to lower the expenses. In other words we deal with them for the customer. But that is a costly option as you need staff + service that is meant to replace staff.

Best advice I have is to start local. Word of mouth and easy access to the PCs will lower costs. Once you start shipping and dealing with remote service it gets costly. Especially when you are at that awkward groth stage when you need to have enough people on staff to handle traffic surges, but are not doing consistent traffic. Basically paying people the majority of the time for nothing.

GL!

- Collapse -
Another often overlooked resource

Is the small business administration at www.sba.gov.

They have allot of resources for small businesses including articles, loan and grant information etc.

I used that site extensively when I started my business and still reference many of the documents after 5 years.

Good luck.

CNET Forums

Forum Info