Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help with software

by alan fallow / April 8, 2007 9:52 AM PDT

Can anyone give me some ideas please. I downloaded 2 of the Easter screensavers that were mentioned in this weeks email. Installed them both and they appeared to run fine. The only problem is that ever since I downladed and installed these programs the machine shuts down when it is not used for a couple of minutes. I have removed these programs from my system but still the PC shuts down. I have an anti virus running on my machine and that did not pick out a virus when i was downloading. But because the machine keeps shutting down i cannot run disk checks or virus checks.Everything was working fine before i downloaded and installed these 2 programs, so I am assuming the problem I have was caused by 1 or both of these programs. any advice would be most appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since you told us. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 8, 2007 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Help with software

absolutely nothing about the machine, how can we help?

Collapse -
sorry about lack of info
by alan fallow / April 8, 2007 7:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Since you told us. . .

I am running Windows XP with sevice pack2. 100gig hard drive 512meg Ram pentium 4 pc with dvd drive and cd burner (no DVD burner). when i installed the screensavers i set the settings for 5 minutes. since i have removed the programs I now have no screensaver set. I used the windows add/remove utility to remove the programs from my system.
I hope that covers everything you needed to know.

Collapse -
(NT) AND?? Does the system still shutdown??
by Ray Harinec / April 8, 2007 11:47 PM PDT
Collapse -
machine still crashes
by alan fallow / April 9, 2007 6:54 PM PDT

yes I am affraid the machine still crashes. Everything just shuts down and then i have to turn off all power and reboot. Of course then i get the dreade blue screen and have to wait for the diskcheck. Someitmes there are no errors (usually if I am doing nothing when the system crashes) other times there are some errors showing up ( I guess that is because I have been using some software)

Collapse -
reply to: Help with software
by caktus / April 8, 2007 10:59 AM PDT

You didn't mention any machine spec's or the OS. Or the download site and links. Or power schemes > Start > Control Panel > Power Options.
Or Screen Saver settings Start > Control Panel > Display > Screen Saver tab.
What procedure did you use to uninstall the screen savers?

Charlie

Collapse -
DO YOU HAVE..
by mikyrdan1 / April 9, 2007 1:06 PM PDT

DO YOU HAVE RESTORE??...SOMETIMES THIS CAN TAKE YOU TO A SIMPLE RECOVERY POINT.

Collapse -
system restore
by alan fallow / April 9, 2007 6:56 PM PDT
In reply to: DO YOU HAVE..

yes i do have a system restore. I had not thought of that. Will try it now. Thanks for the advice.

Collapse -
Add/Remove Programs..
by castingRod47 / April 9, 2007 7:17 PM PDT
In reply to: system restore

Its advisable to SHUT-Off your Virus Scanning when useing Add/Remove Programs..
And when I get a Blue Screen(seldom)its all about hardware..
like a Video Card or the Sound Card..
Since your useing a Pentium 4..and 512MBs of RAM you should be safe in most instances..
How-ever..what is the SPPED of your P4 RAM..??..333..400..MHz..??
400MHz is recommended for a 800MHz FSB Pentium 4 Processor..and the HTT must be turned ON..and all PC installed components must be THREAD-safe..[what does the FRONT-page of your Device Manager]offer about RAM and the tiny writing just below it/-->>Physical Address Extension<<--/
I use XP SP2..
and only use what is totally compatible..
and I never ADD a Program that declares itself...FREE..
too me FREE means trouble.

Collapse -
system restore
by alan fallow / April 9, 2007 7:22 PM PDT
In reply to: DO YOU HAVE..

I have tried several restore points from before the download. but the system will not restore to these points. I does not give any reason, the only message i get is that the system cannot restore to this point.

Collapse -
reply to: system restore
by caktus / April 10, 2007 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: system restore

Sometimes SR, like other Windows utilities works better in Safe mode.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.