Desktops forum

Resolved Question

Help with selecting a Power Supply

by Grunt11B / January 12, 2015 3:39 PM PST

So Ive not built a PC in years and Im pricing a computer build. Just baffled by what size PS i should buy.

This build will have:
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G Video Card
Intel Core I5 4690K 3.5GHz Processor
MSI Z97-GAMING 3 ATX Motherboard
Kingston HyperX Fury Red 16GB

So far thats as far as I have gone on my planning and purchasing. I think with that video card it would be overkill to go the SLI route.

Any help on a power supply would be great.

From what I gather the onboard sound should be good no power drain there.....Im not planning on running any LCD displays on the tower etc. (Had one on my last build 8 years ago and it was more novelty then anything)

Thanks in advance. (Im not as smart as I used to be do to a severe head injury so please keep that in mind lol)

Grunt11B has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with selecting a Power Supply
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with selecting a Power Supply
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Grunt11B

Collapse -
Link, comment
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 11:50 PM PST
Collapse -
About too big a PSU. Myth.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2015 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: Link, comment

There are studies (Tomshardware for example) where the efficiency of the PSU drops as it nears full load. Yes, it's not efficient as very small loads such as 1% of full load but there is that myth that needs some debunking. Toms does that well.

My concern is that too many PSUs fibbed about the rating so to avoid that and get away from PSU caused reboots and short life spans the 50% of load rule is great when you can follow it.

More at,3885-7.html where you can see efficiency at 20, 50 and 100%.

Collapse -
by Grunt11B / January 13, 2015 12:25 AM PST

ok...thanks for the help everyone. I will poke around and look for a good 600w PSU.

Collapse -
Yeah, I think 600w...
by Oldartq / January 13, 2015 4:15 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

would be a good start.

Collapse -
Think I found a PSU
by Grunt11B / January 13, 2015 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Link, comment

So i read the review on the coolermaster 600 gold ....
Went about looking for it and couldnt find one....found this though and going to pull the trigger. I realize i need some extra power for optical drive and hdd...not looking at a blu ray player as of yet so ill just get a dvd drive...not sure how many pc games come on blu ray...but ill leave that option open. And deffinatly going to get 2, 2TB HDD'S.....maybe a SSD

Think that PSU will work or will it be a waste?

Collapse -
by Bob__B / January 12, 2015 11:26 PM PST

500w or bigger....single rail.

Collapse -
A 500w wont be eaten alive?
by Grunt11B / January 13, 2015 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: Psu

Hmmm I was thinking I would need a bit more then a 500w. My last build granted it was years ago was running an AMD dual core, twin 8800 gtx's in SLI. (Granted it also had a small lcd fan control, sound card) That was years ago....I do know 8800s were power hogs...but it was running an 850w.

I was always told if you get too big of a PS and your not using all of it its just as bad if not worse then over working it.

Anyone have any comments on my current purchase list or improvements? So far the only things purchased are the Mobo,processor (tiger direct bundle with fans and heatsink) and RAM. Still need to find a good gaming OS,
Tower...possible sound card

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?