Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

HELP WITH RECOVERY CONSOLE WIN 2000

by er_paez47 / May 24, 2006 1:43 AM PDT

Hi,
I was deleting some duplicated files while i was on windows desktop using the "easycleaner utility" and after i deleted the files wich they are still in the recycle bin , then i was asked to install the cd service pack 4 for my win 2000 pro, ok then i downloded and installed the spk 4 in D:DRIVE(SECOND HARDRIVE) cause i did not have to much space left on c: drive and the windows 2000 pro is installed in c: drive , so i got connected to the internet and downloaded again service pack 4 and reinstalled, even that this computer was already a win 2000 pro spk 4, after it was installed then i need to restart the computer and after booting i got this message "Stop 0X0000007B or Inaccesible_boot_device", ok
i guess if i run the recover console i can probably run the CHKDSK /F and maybe fix this problem,the thing is that when i got to the recover console from the 4 start up disk and got prompted to select what to fix wich i select the c: drive then i got prompted for the administrator password, i don't know the password and i don't understand why i am been asking for it, i have been doing this on other computers and i never was asked for the password Can anyone help me how to find the password or how to bypass or reset it or any help please to run the CHKDSK /F ON THIS c:drive ?
Thanks a lot this is a must Please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP WITH RECOVERY CONSOLE WIN 2000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP WITH RECOVERY CONSOLE WIN 2000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fair enough. But those boot disks rarely work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 3:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
Bob I already used rhe 4 disks but ?
by er_paez47 / May 24, 2006 4:29 AM PDT

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the fast response, i was able to get to the R console and also i found the password now after i ran CHKDSK /R on the bootable drive and at end i got the result of something was repaired still wwhen i boot up i got the same error as before, then i ran the CHKDSK /P wich i think is the same as the other option but when booting i got the same thing the error say to run CHKDSK /F, SHOULD I DO THIS or do have any other suggestion, it is important for me cause this computer is running finance software as well payroll, please any help ?
Thanks

Collapse -
Since it asks to run such...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 7:24 AM PDT

I would. Be sure your backup is current just in case.

Bob

Collapse -
No Luck at all i can't run CHKDSK /F
by er_paez47 / May 24, 2006 10:45 PM PDT

when i run the 4 flopies to get the Rconsole and got to the c: prompt running CHKDSK /F it is not a valid command, so i cannot run the chkdsk with this parameter from the command prompt the only thing i can is chkdsk /p/r and i already did that and i am still getting the same initial error , i think there is something wrong with the MBR cause the computer boot and it recognize the C drive and when the first initial screen of win 2000 appears the progress bar goes almost to a 50% and then the message as i mentioned before is shown on the screen, the whole thing is that i reinstall spk4 while norton antivirus 2003 was still enable when i downaloaded and installed spk4.
please any other thing that i can do, by the way the only free space i have on this HD is 40 MB LEFT so i can't install another win 2000 in a separate dir on this drive but can i try to install over i mean is there a way to reinstall over w/o loosing the applications and data i have over this drive or it will format the HD AGAIN ?
i have another hardrive as secondary master with plenty space just only a fee folders with some data, i can switch this one to be the bootoble.
Do you know if i install win 2000 there D drive and make this one the primary and the bootoble HD if i can then be able to later on to access that original hd an run the applications ? wich i know i can still access but like i said it seen that is something corupted with the boot sector on this c drive or the master boot record on it, well correct me if i am wrong
Please any help is very appreciated and i am in a rush
Thanks

Collapse -
Odd. All this is jsut a boot fo the 2000 CD away.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 10:53 PM PDT

The chkdsk program is not on said 4 floppies. You may be avoiding the quick fix here (boot the 2000 CD).

As to installing 2000 on D: without losing applications that's a "no." Microsoft didn't design such to happen in any known version of Windows.

-> Something has not been shared in your posts so I'll be blunt and ask "Why not boot the 2000 CD and fix this?"

Bob

Collapse -
Bob I just fixed the problem
by er_paez47 / May 25, 2006 1:55 AM PDT

Thanks for your response but i guess i figured out before a came back to check your response and yes i have ti install a cd drive in that computer it did not have one then i ran the 2000 cd r console and select repair and fast repair, it found a bunch of files missing from the spk3 and then i could not copied them anyway from the cd win 2000 but the fast fix continued working until the end and told me to reboot the machine and guess what problem fixed, i guess what you were trying to tell me was probably to use the fast repair wich i did even before i read your post but anyway r console chkdsk /p /r never fixed thanks to you for all tour responses and for the concern, sorry to be bugging you so much
Thanks a lot man
Regards
Ernesto

Collapse -
Glad to hear its fixed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2006 3:34 AM PDT

Just let me share the I've found repair to be nearly impossible without a functional CDROM drive.

But you've beaten the odds today!

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.