Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

help with question

by cnd / November 19, 2005 8:59 AM PST

Me and a friend both clicked on a link, an after we clicked it. It said this was our ips addy's (both using laptops) an after showing us our ips addy's it said that the cookie for this website was uninstallable. an tht now they could track us anywheres we go on the net. or hack us at anytime. I want to know how true this is if any?
i scanned my laptop with spybot an ad ware pro and my norton. Ad ware pro show me a media tracker cookie only. which is under quartrantine now.

the link had an . de or .ve in it

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help with question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help with question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: help
by caktus / November 19, 2005 1:24 PM PST
In reply to: help with question

Might download and run ewido.

Check for and download Updates then run a Complete Scan. If it finds something place a checkmark beside Perform action on all infections, then click OK.

If the computer comes up clean you might consider just staying off that particular web site/page/link.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Yes and no
by PKsteven / November 19, 2005 2:01 PM PST
In reply to: help with question

For one, your ip that shows up on web sites is showing because that is what you are using to connect to the web. Some firewall companies try to use this to get you to buy their software, they scan your pc and say hey, your ip is 192.whatever, and is not being blocked by your current firewall. Go ahead and block your ip and see if you can access the internet.I think what you got was a spoof ad or something trying to scare you into getting software. Sure they can install a tracking cookie, nothing new. Get rid of it with adaware and simply don't go back to the site. They can track what sites you have gone to etc...almost any tracking cookie can do this, this is why we have things like spyware blaster , adaware etc... Some are dangerous and you should be cautious but most of the time, we get rid of them. Spyware blaster will keep alot of the baddies away, not all but about 4972 of them, or close. It's free also.

Hope this helps, Paul

Collapse -
yes it does
by cnd / November 20, 2005 2:43 PM PST
In reply to: Yes and no

yes this does help, me and my friend play on line games an we thought we got infected with a hacker bot or something like that, its good to know we have a place like this we smart ppl to rely on.
thanks again for all your wise help.

Collapse -
You are welcome...
by PKsteven / November 20, 2005 2:48 PM PST
In reply to: yes it does

I appreciate the thank you. However, do remain cautious. Things like this can happen and do often.
Take care Paul

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.