Cameras forum

General discussion

Help with Powershot A530, what settings for a concert?

I'll be attending a couple of concerts next month and I need help on what settings would be good for a concert on the Canon Powershot A530. I plan on being right next to the barricade so I'll be pretty close to the bands. If anyone can help me with the settings and some tips I'd really appreciate it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with Powershot A530, what settings for a concert?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with Powershot A530, what settings for a concert?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Concert photography

In reply to: Help with Powershot A530, what settings for a concert?

Point-and-shoot cameras are not well suited for concert photography.
They are marginal, at best.

But with the right settings and techniques you can improve your chances of getting some good shots.

1. Turn off the flash. The flash is too weak to light-up a whole stage. And when it is turned-on, the shutter speed is preselected to 1/60th of a second. You want the shutter speed to be able to select slower speeds. Turn the flash off.

2. Change the mode selection from auto to "indoor". This should force the camera to use higher ISO settings and maximum aperture setting.

3. Use as little optical zoom as you can. This gives you a better aperture setting. No optical zoom is best.

4. Use the viewfinder to frame your shots, not the LCD.
Since you will be shooting at slow shutter speeds, you must make every effort to hold the camera still. When you use the viewfinder the camera is held against your face. Your head is steadier than two outstretched arms.

You can try some practice shots before the concert.

Set the camera as described above and shoot some photos in a restaurant or a well lit bar or pub. See what kind of results you get.

If the results are poor....let us know what the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO settings are for the bad shots.

You can check the EXIF information that is always included in digital photo files. Look to see what the camera selected for shutter speed, aperture setting and ISO setting.

Collapse -
P mode

In reply to: Concert photography

When you go to practice, try P mode. There is a setting in the menu called "AF-assist beam" that may help in low light to focus the camera but its a really bright red LED that may cause problems also. Its to help light up the subject before the shot but people seem to freak out on it when you point it at them, almost like a lazer or somthing.

Would they get mad if you use the flash?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.