Windows Vista forum

Question

Help with post-reinstall

by Syrinx77 / May 23, 2011 9:43 PM PDT

Recently, I tried to install some service pack update & it wreaked havoc on my computer. Apparently, it's a fairly common Vista problem. After fiddling around with it (it had basically frozen while installing the pack), the whole thing ended up wiping Everything clean & in the end, I needed the install disc to fix it. (which I *just* found)

So now I'm stuck on some "Welcome Window" & it's having trouble connecting to the internet.

What to do now?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with post-reinstall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with post-reinstall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Two things
by Jimmy Greystone / May 23, 2011 11:27 PM PDT

Two things:

1: The sort of issue describe is common on ANY version of Windows if you try and install a service pack on a system with malware on it. A lot of malware worms its way into the OS so deeply that a major update like a service pack will ultimately render the system useless. So you should ALWAYS be sure your system is free of malware before installing service packs. This isn't some Vista thing. Far too many people with little to no skill actually diagnosing problems just decide it must be Windows' fault, and then because Vista got kind of a bad rap early on, people further refine it to be their preferred whipping boy. Anytime anything goes wrong on a system with Vista on it, it's always Vista's fault. Couldn't possibly be the pirated software with a hidden keylogger the user is installing, or the fact that the fans are so caked with dust and other crap, it's a wonder the system can turn on at all without overheating, but no... Somehow those are all Vista's fault, along with just about everything else under the sun.

2: Your particular problem sounds like one experienced by someone who didn't install the drivers post-install. Contrary to popular belief, Windows doesn't ship with this massive catalog of drivers, it's up to YOU to install them. So hopefully your computer came with a second drivers disc that you can now pop in and set about installing the drivers needed, otherwise you're going to have to go to another computer (like the one you're posting from) and download all the necessary drivers to a CD or flash drive, and then transport them to the other computer.

Collapse -
Jesus
by Syrinx77 / May 24, 2011 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Two things

I really don't think people come here to be sat & lectured. Yes, people who come here are often novices, but it doesn't help solve the problem by b.i.t.c.hing at them.

Collapse -
That said,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 24, 2011 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Jesus

the advice is good.

Did you install the drivers yet?

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!