Computer Help forum

General discussion

help with PCI ethernet controller

by whitedawgHLE / May 7, 2004 1:56 PM PDT

Help with PCI ethernet controller

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey, this is my first time on this website. heres my problem. my computer was messing up really bad, i had to much stuff on there and viruses and everything was going wrong, so i desided to recover my whole system. Once it was all done. it says that i need to reinstall a PCI ethernet controller. i dont have the disk so i had to dl a driver. I went to www.smc.com and did a search on the model number and dl a driver smc1255tx, and i restarted to comp and nothin happen whats the next step

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help with PCI ethernet controller
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help with PCI ethernet controller
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:help with PCI ethernet controller
by Art / May 7, 2004 5:47 PM PDT

There couple ways but I will suggest this one. first put the DL drive on a floppy (never know when you might need it again).
Go to control panel then click on ADD NEW HARDWARE and follows the driver install wizard. Post back if you run into problem. good luck.

Collapse -
Re:help with PCI ethernet controller
by kimphall / May 13, 2004 4:53 PM PDT

Go to Device Manager, double-click on the "Other Devices" which is where a device without a driver should be listed, and double-click on the generic card type to reinstall or update driver (depending on operating system).

The INF file might already be in the Windows\Inf\Other directory. You will need to uncheck the hidden attribute for the INF directory in Properties for the directory as it is normally hidden. You will probably have to set folder options to show all files instead of protecting system files to browse to it.

Browse to the extracted files/drivers location or the Windows\Inf\Other directory and open. If the driver is there, you will get a list with the card in it. Select the card and continue. Other files asked for are either in the Windows, Windows\System (98/Me) or Windows\System32\Drivers (NT) directories. This should allow the system to find all of the files and settings it needs.

If you need more specific info on how to do all of this, post another message.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!