Alert

HELP WITH PARTITION!

Well basically I got a desktop from Aarons rent to own because of financial problems, but some idiot messed with partitioning when they had to do a factory reset, and well I cant save anything, so heres the picture for reference.<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/Austin_Hardin/?action=view&current=Capture.jpg
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Please help asap!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HELP WITH PARTITION!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HELP WITH PARTITION!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
From the looks of this.

You'll have to clean off what you can from C: and start using drive D:
Bob

- Collapse -
Hmm.

I dont understand what you mean, actually haha.
Maybe break it down for me?

- Collapse -
Sure.

When you go to save, you navigate to drive d and save in a folder there.

- Collapse -
Well,

Cant I just get the gb that is in the d drive and move it to my c drive? because I only want 1 drive.

- Collapse -
Then do that?

I don't know what restore media or options you have. So I have to go with how to work with such a machine.

There is NO STANDARD METHOD for moving space from d to c. Yes there is/was Partition Magic but for that much money I just reinstall the OS as I want it. But given the story I can't tell if that's an option.

Which is why we learn how to use such machines.
Bob

- Collapse -
You're going to struggle

This appears to be Windows Vista or Windows 7, but you don't say.

From the image it looks like someone has given you the computer's hidden Recovery partition. I don't know how they did that. The hidden recovery partition is what is used when we want to reinstall the OS, (Operating System), and set it back to factory conditions; that is, 'day 1'.

I doubt you can do that now because it looks like that hidden partition is no longer hidden, and has been used to install the OS. That limits you immediately to how much you can install or save on that partition. At 14.6 GB much of the partition is going to be used up by Windows and just a few necessary applications.

If you have any videos, music, pictures, documents, or other personal files on that partition, move them to the other, larger, partition. That will give you some grace, but not much.

Any software you want to install, check the installation procedure carefully. Often you will be given a choice where to install it. Use the Browse button to select the D Drive. But beware, most software installations will still place files and other application components onto the main C drive. There is nothing you can do about that.

But even then, some software will not give you the choice of where to install. They will install on the C drive, and only on the C drive.

That is why you are going to struggle. That and all the other temporary files and internet files that always build up on a system through normal use.

If this were me, I would start again. Delete the partitions altogether, reformat, and reload the OS onto just the one hard disk, no partitions.

May be the person who did this to you in the first place can do that, and make this a workable system.

Mark

CNET Forums