Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Help with Outlook Express.

by kcbrandon / August 19, 2008 2:20 PM PDT

My Uncle bought a used PC (XP PRO-NTFS) and I added the hard drive from his old PC (2000 ? FAT32) into the new one as the slave so he could transfer all his old files and use for backup. The problem is we can?t figure out how to import his old Outlook Express messages from the old hard drive to the new one. He doesn?t know what Outllook Express version he was using on the old PC, my guess would be version 5, his new one his 6. We have already tried the Outlook Express Import Export options with no success. Could the problem be that they are different versions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with Outlook Express.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with Outlook Express.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: copy Outlook Express
by Kees Bakker / August 20, 2008 5:56 AM PDT

The idea is to copy the store folder (that's the Windows folder where all Outlook Express folders are stored) in its entirety (that's: ALL files) to the new PC.

The easiest way:
- locate the folder on the old disk (it's the folder that contains a file called inbox.dbx)
- same for the folder on the new disk; if it's a different OS it might be a different location; in XP it's in the users Documents and Settings
- then select all files from the old disk (in My Computer or Windows Explorer) and copy them to the right location on the new disk

This, of course, will delete any messages already received in and sent from the new set of folders (because it will overwrite them). So better export those first and import them later.

More details in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670
This also tells about other things then just the messages.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
Copy dbx files
by mamajenn / September 21, 2008 7:27 AM PDT

I just copied dbx files from OE5 on my computer back to OE6 after a reformat. I would think it would be the same procedure.
Create a folder on the new computer desktop
On the old computer go to saved dbx folder and copy to dbx folder on your desktop
Open OE6 and click on tools, options, maintenance, store folder
Browse in store folder until you find the saved desktop folder on new computer
Click ok, okay
Reboot
Open OE and it will automatically download all of your old files

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.