Samsung forum

General discussion

Help with "Not Supported Audio Data" through DLNA

by johnv41 / July 8, 2010 1:19 PM PDT

I have an issue with the audio playing on my Samsung TV when accessing video files from my desktop through the Media Play option. The strange thing is, I get clear audio playback with the videos that were recorded with a less expensive, older Canon ultra compact camera prior to the one that I have now. When trying to play videos recordings from my newer camera I get the pop up "No Supported Audio Data" and no sound with the video.

Here are my specs in case this will be important in formulating an answer:

TV:
Samsung LN46B750
HDMI, 1080p, 240Hz, ...

Camera:
Nikon CoolPix P90

Network:
Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless G
DLNA connects media from desktop and laptop accessed via the "source" button on remote.

These video files play perfectly when connected to the TV directly through the cable from it to the TV's USB port, when played from a USB Thumb Drive plugged into the TV's USB port, and from my laptop when plugged into the TV with a HDMI cable. But when playing the file through the MediaPlay option, no audio.

I love this convenient way of accessing my files and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with "Not Supported Audio Data" through DLNA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with "Not Supported Audio Data" through DLNA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Help with "Not Supported Audio Data" through DLNA
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 9, 2010 1:28 PM PDT

johnv41,

What codec is the audio file format in?

The manual notes that only certain formats are supported.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thank you! And help finding codecs
by johnv41 / July 10, 2010 12:16 AM PDT

Thank you for your responce! I am having trouble trying to figure out how to find what the coec is. When I play the video on WMP and I right click the file in the library, it only shows the entry "-" nest to the video and audio codec.

I have been trying to find alternate ways on the net, but unfortunately with no luck.

Do you know of an easy way to find it?

Thanks!

Collapse -
This may be it...
by johnv41 / July 10, 2010 12:24 AM PDT

I just downloaded a program called Gspot v2.70a. It listed it as "PCM Audio". Not sure if this is what you needed?

Collapse -
How to fix DLNA compatability issue
by johnv41 / August 18, 2010 4:15 AM PDT

Well, after 2 long online unproductive chat sessions with online support agents, hours of hair pulling research online, and experimentation with 2 media conversion programs, I think that I have found that the Samsung PC Manager program, and only the Samsung PC Manager program is the culprit in this situation. The agents only answer was that the LN46B750 TV was not compatible with the video format from my Nikon Coolpix P90 camera, even after I assured them that the video from the camera worked seamlessly when connected directly to the TV via USB, as well as the files from a USB drive and the external hard drive that the files stream from when disconnected from the network and plugged directly in to the TV.

Erased PC Manager and hooked up the DLNA through WMP 11. Same issue persisted. All I can think is that the problem is with the DLNA compatibility for that is the only time there is an issue.

So, my question is, is there a free program to convert the files to MPEG, which seemed to work with but lowered the file sizes from a pay program. Also is there another way around this issue (IE: get the DLNA to recognize the AVI file or be able to change a ton of video files to MPEG with minimal trouble.

Any help is appreciated. Also, I am not sure if I am even on the best path, this is just all I was able to come up with.

Thanks,
John

Collapse -
DLNA
by jw650 / August 18, 2010 8:17 PM PDT

Sounds like the codec is compatible, but not declared as such in the TV's profile.

You could try a server which does live transcoding, like TVersity. It may need a bit of tweaking to get it working with the Samsung - check theuser forums for advice.

Collapse -
This Might Help Explain Things
by cfredette365 / August 19, 2010 10:45 AM PDT

I've come across the same problem. From what I've read DLNA is very fickle about the type of files you send at it. I've had some files, .mkv for instance, that would play perfectly fine and then others that would play video with no audio. What this basically means is that the audio codec that your camera places within the file doesn't match up with what DLNA would like you to have. This link my help explain some the basics of how DLNA works and doesn't work.

http://gxben.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/why-do-i-hate-dlna-protocol-so-much/

This page is a little out dated. Since this page was posted DLNA has provided support of .avi and .mkv but it still requires them to have one of the matching video codecs and audio codecs to work. The only other option that I have read a little about, but don't know any of the names by heart, are programs that convert files on-the-go to a DLNA compatible format. This has had mixed results, all dependent on video size, quality, network speed, computer speed, etc. You may want to try looking into those.

Hope this helps you understand a little better but as that tech made it sound, your just out of luck with DLNA until they decide to allow other codecs.

Collapse -
Thank you to all who have helped 8)
by johnv41 / August 19, 2010 12:46 PM PDT

I loaded TVERSITY just a few hours ago. It is letting the videos play through the DLNA, but there is a noticeable change in the quality in some areas from the transcoding. I do like how it is a TON faster with moving from folder to folder as well as from picture to picture, but the series of steps to get to the area desired is a bit tedious (and the DLNA using Windows Media 11 does the same thing). For example, when I get to the main screen which shows PHOTO, MUSIC, VIDEO, & SETUP tabs, why does clicking on any of them take me to an option that has the all 3 media types to choose from. I tried clicking on all of them, and unless it is a tab that corresponds to the main option (IE: Music folder inside of the Music tab) there will not be any media there. So, why even have those tabs listed? Strange and confusing. Plus it takes several folder clicks to get to viable options in each main page tab.

What I do like about it (TVERSITY & WM 11 for that matter) is that the speed and smoothness with scrolling through pics, etc as well as going from folders and folder option is seamless. Just push a button and the option is accessed. This seems silly to say because it seems obvious that is what would happen, but with the Samsung PC Share, moving from one picture to the next or from folder options (folder, timeline, etc) is no joke, like walking through wet cement, thigh deep with lead pants. This may sound like an exaggeration but it is completely accurate. Is this my TV/Software or is this the experience for everyone? I thought it was my connections or router (even though the router sits directly below the TV and is connected with an Ethernet cable of only 2 feet in length. This was until I saw how fast WM 11 and TVERSITY ran. It is not my router or TV, it definitely is Samsung. My internet widgets run the same cement walking style. The response time is so slow with navigating them, that I never turn them on. It?s a shame because it was one of the deciding factors in purchasing this model.

Anyways, just to be straight, I am not out to bash Samsung. I love my TV. The picture is INCREDIBLE!!!!! Which is key since, above all else, it is a TV. It is just frustrating that I paid the almost $2K for it last October 31st for the extra items like internet DLNA, and on screen widgets. Only to have them be rather unusable or at least not very much so unless tweaked after countless days/weeks of research and trial and error with outside products. This is disappointing because even thought the technology is new, to plaster it in HUGE colorful ads along the TV box and stickers of these additions only to see that they work like a last minute afterthought is disappointing.

Anyways, is it just my LN46B750 TV and Samsung software faulty or is this the experience of all. And if so, I would hope that to keep product loyalty intact there would be an online fix. How difficult would it be to have software fix to keep them on par with 3rd party software or at least relatively close?

Sorry for the HUGE post, but much needed said.

Thank you,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.