Laptops forum

General discussion

Help with Next Laptop

by imanym / June 15, 2009 8:34 PM PDT

Hello all, I am a Developer in search of a new laptop, not necessarily because I need one, but because I would like to have a nicer, newer, fresher laptop. My current laptop is as follows:
HP 6910P
Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.20ghz --processor is fine
4g Ram --> would like up to 8g
160 Gig HD --> would like at least 250g
14" Screen -- fine or smaller
Vista Business --> not important, but would like Win7
I have been looking at the MAC BOOK PRO 15, but I know that the Mac's reputation is built upon its OS/machine being designed by the same company. I am extremely open to suggestions, I am also looking at the HP Elite brand laptops. I do like the aluminum shell of the Mac and the back light eluminated keyboard. I have always had an HP and have yet to be disappointed with its products, but I want a powerful business machine that is fun to us and has the non plasticy feel. I am a developer and need multiple environments in order to test various interfaces in there native environment. So, I need a large HD to accomodate these OS environments.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with Next Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with Next Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I wonder if consumers are being oversold on RAM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2009 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Help with Next Laptop

8GB RAM looks to be overkill. And with the soon to arrive Windows 7 that ran superbly on 1GB RAM you have to wonder if consumers are being mislead.

You're right to shop for more disk space if you have the usual video and MP3 collection. That should be easy to find at hp, dell.com

Yes, some hp, dell have the plastic feel but for the price I ignore it. The Apple is quite a nice machine but always get AppleCare until you are willing to pay for repairs.
Bob

Collapse -
Help with Next Laptop
by imanym / June 16, 2009 2:10 AM PDT

8Gb Of Ram is certainly not over kill for my uses. However, I do absolutely agree with you that it may be overkill for the average consumer. I need as much ram as possible because I run multiple OS's on one machine using Parallels virtual Desktop and within each environment I have enterprise software running and testing code, db environments and Server configs. So, Ram and disk space is key. I just loaded Win7 the other day and have yet to really see what it has to offer, but I know that if I do get it I will be running it in a Virtual environment.

Collapse -
Especially with the cost of 4 gig memory chip.
by orlbuckeye / June 16, 2009 3:34 AM PDT

Crucial 4 gig laptop memory is 399.99 per stick.

Collapse -
I've started to see laptops
by orlbuckeye / June 16, 2009 12:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
I'll stick
by deniceels / June 16, 2009 1:17 AM PDT

to the 4GB sticks as it the previous poster mentioned, Win7 does fine with 1GB already (and I'm using 2GB and it's smooth). Furthermore, if you do like to upgrade yourself certain easy upgradable parts, you can save the money from having to spend at the store forthe upgrade (which at where I am, it's far more expensive to have them do it, after taking out the ram cost).

Collapse -
I saw a laptop that allowed you to configure
by orlbuckeye / June 17, 2009 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll stick

to 8 gigs but it had the note that it could only use 6.8 gigs of that using a 64 bit OS.

Collapse -
Go with simple
by Renegade Knight / June 17, 2009 4:15 AM PDT

It's easier to run multiple OS's (especally OS X) on a Mac, than vice versa. This is more to do with Apple's lock in of the OS than anything else.

My main grip about apple laptops are the crappy keyboards and missing keys that drive me nuts. I thought that maybe Apple had a different way, but saw a desktop that had my missing keys. Turns out Apple just decided that I didn't need some keys.

If you want to Run OS X on a non Apple computer do some google searching. Success varies among the different laptops.

Collapse -
Next Laptop
by imanym / July 4, 2009 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Go with simple

I have done a bit of research and have come to the following conclusion:
My use of the laptop is what I used to summarize my needs and come to a conclusion. I am currently creating an interface to a new client software platform and a server platform as well. I need to be able to have multiple guest OSes on one laptop as well as the host OS in order to simulate the Client/Server interactions between the two. We are upgrading the client software/database from SQL Server2000 to SQL Server2005. I am emulating the vendor software install and interface using virtual PC's. This is somewhat of an issue in regards to the Mac, as I would like to learn the mac, but I can only use that product if I purchase a mac as Mac software licensing is tied to their hardware and this is a deal breaker for me. Because professionally, I do not need to experience the Apple/Mac OS interface that much to invest in that culture. So I am back to PC. There are many PC's that are currently available that have some serious good looking shells, such as the HP Elitebook, HP Pro, Dell Vostro and IBM T Series notebooks. Interestingly enough, I upgraded my HD to a Western Digital Scorpio Black 320gb 7200RPM and the unit is faster. As far as the memory, I found out that Vista holds an undisclosed amout of memory as "Cache" and this memory is not actually being used. I realized this when I had 4 Virtual Desktops open same time and the ram use percentage was 86%. It is usually at 40% to 50% under normal use of Vista 64 only and when I have all oses open it only goes up an additional 30 - 40% and in addition I assigned 1 gb to Vista32, XP Pro 712mb, XP Pro Client 512 and 1gb to Win7. The laptops I have on my radar are as follows:
HP Voodoo Envy 133 (Highly proprietary and may wait for addition of Ethernet Jack on device and regular size notebook HD rather the the proprietary HD)
HP Elite 6930P
Lenovo T400
DELL Vostro 1320

Collapse -
Hey, that's ME!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2009 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Next Laptop

I have some software I've written to do just that. The host machine is host MySQL with my client software (yes, MY client software I wrote) on the machine as well as other machines.

To demo this I never thought of overkill on the host laptop but for the demo I use another laptop. To cut down on the cost and weight my new portable host is a 299 buck netbook.

The last few demos were very successful as they really wanted to see the client on light weight, low cost, low performance machines. Also this saves me from spending too much on the single laptop.
Bob

Collapse -
REALLY??
by imanym / July 4, 2009 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey, that's ME!

Hello Bob, souds good.
So you say you mentioned that you have the Host and client software on one machine and the client software on the netbook? You are not using a virtual environment? So when you see a client(s), do you bring both pc's with you, the Host and the Client (netbook). You have peaked my interest in a netbook.

Collapse -
"for the demo I use another laptop."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2009 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: REALLY??

I guess I could rewrite that to be "for the demo I use a second laptop." Which is now a netbook. We've run MySQL for years on even lesser hardware so while I don't run the host or MySQL server on the netbook I see no reason it couldn't run there. That would make a fine data collector (which is part of our system BTW.

A new system is now being developed which the client is also on Windows Mobile. For this I'm now up to VS2008 and we went with .NET 3.5. The entire system fits in the usual backback and the netbook and WinMo devices ride in a case like this one -> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ALUMM-NBCASE

The entire "show" must weigh less than 20 pounds now.

"So when you see a client(s), do you bring both pc's with you, the Host and the Client (netbook)."

Yes. My client (the person) gets to run the client software on the netbook. It seems to let them get more connected with the system than if I had it all on my PC and didn't let them have their own setup.

Bob

Collapse -
Yeah
by imanym / July 4, 2009 5:33 AM PDT

SWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET, I am sold. That is an excellent idea. I still find it a necessity to be able to run both client and host soft from one machine for preliminary testing, but the addition of a netbook is an excellent idea for not only convenience, but to modal office the completed environment and see exactly what can be done on such quote, unquote, a small resource (netbook). I never thought of that. Good stuff, Bob really good. Thanks so much for your input, it turns out extremely valuable to me.

Thanks again,

Collapse -
Finally Purchased New Laptop
by imanym / July 16, 2009 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah

Okay I put the money where my mouth is an I purchased a Lenovo Idea Pad Y550
15.6 Wide
2.53 Core 2 Duo
NVIDIA

Collapse -
15.6 Wide = nice size.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2009 12:19 PM PDT

I had a 17 inch laptop and it became too much to carry around. My brother was gifted that and I did a "redo" with a 15.4 inch display. It's been just right. Today I'll consider the 16 inch displays as they have been able to reduce the bezel widths.

Collapse -
16 inch displays
by imanym / July 16, 2009 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: 15.6 Wide = nice size.

You know I was tempted to go with the 16"r, it is actually lighte than the 15.6"r. I actually went with the 15 because the vid card was double the size and I saved about $100. I agree with you on the screen size, I had a 15.4 HP Pavilion notebook and loved the screen resolution as well as the size, but it was not an industrial design so I ruined the CD drive a few times so I gifted that to my Wife and went with HP business brand notebooks, much better choice, but I always missed that perfect screen size.

Collapse -
Took the plunge nbd got a MAC
by imanym / July 18, 2009 2:10 PM PDT
In reply to: 16 inch displays

Okay, I was researching my purchase of the Lenovo ideapad Y550 and I thought to check their own forum. To my surprise the Lenovo's chipset and processor supports Virtualization but the ability to turn it on is not in the bios. That was a deal breaker for me, so it was up to the HP or the Mac. I decided the mac because I have had at least 3 HP's in the past few years and wanted a change. I ended up just going to the Apple store and picked up a Mac Book Pro 15" with 256 Vid Card. To be completely honest, I would have definately gotten the HP VooDoo Envy if it didn't have such a proprietary hard drive. The Lenovo ideapad Y550 was my next option and I actually ordered for the machine until I found out that Virtualization was not available on the systems mb. So I decided that it was time to just take the dive into the Mac world.

Collapse -
Bad Bad Lenovo
by imanym / July 23, 2009 12:07 PM PDT

Be warned I purchased a Lenovo laptop Y550, I then canceled my order 2 days later after reading postings on the Lenovo sight suggesting that the Lenovo's do have Virtualization support in their consumer products. However, the document that I downloaded of the specific laptop suggested they did. When the question was posed I felt obligated to type in my reaction to this with facts that I have of HP brand laptops that have this ability, new and old and all consumer products. The answer from the site was as follows:
"If this is demonstrated as a competitive disadvantage and reason not to buy Lenovo, perhaps that would be a good basis to have the situation examined again."

Lenovo officially stated that they do not support this functionality however, the hardware is capable of this. I did respond but will leave it up to them (like I really have a choice). I did cancel my order and I did purchase an Apple Macbook Pro 15" as a resulyt of this behavior.Did I mention that the documentation for the laptop specifications was changed June 2009 and posted on their site July 2009 after my posting. I still have the original spec sheet which stated VT Support.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.