Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help with my Laptop connected to my HDTV

I have two different questions I want to find the answers to. To start off, I have a HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop running on Win XP.

My first question is: I have a VGA cable and whenever I connect my laptop to my TV with my VGA cable my laptop has a little ding sound indicating that it is connected... BUT, half a second later, the sound goes on again, indicating that it is disconnected. I can't seem to keep it connected into my laptop. When I connect it with my VGA cable it'll work 2/10 times and it's quite annoying. I've contacted HP and they were unclear of what's going on, so maybe someone on this site has some past experience they would maybe share with me.

My second question is: I've seen on eBay there are some cables for sale with a VGA on one end and a HDMI on the other end, and was just wondering if I would be able to view my laptop on my TV if I connect the VGA end to my laptop and the HDMI end to my TV. Some forums that I've read said that you're able to connect it, but, there are others that say that you're not. please help me.

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with my Laptop connected to my HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with my Laptop connected to my HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the Fn key.

In reply to: Help with my Laptop connected to my HDTV

When you connect an external monitor, sometimes you will need to use the Fn keys on the laptop keyboard to turn on display output to the external monitor.

On HP laptops the key will look like a rectangular box with two lines on the left and right on the outside. Press the Fn key and tap that button until the external display comes on. Wait a few seconds on each tap.
Bob

Collapse -
Is this the laptop you tried to install XP?

In reply to: Help with my Laptop connected to my HDTV

If so I see the Fn keys to fail as well as external displays. HP would be right to not offer support for this one as the XP install in nearly impossible for most.
Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Is this the laptop you tried to install XP?

On my laptop you're suppose to press the [fn]+[f4] button, but the image will only transfer if the sound that indicates it's connected goes on. Where my problem is; is that that sound will go on, but half a second later, it'll indicate that it's disconnected without me even touching anything, therefor I'm unable to press the [fn]+[f4]. I just want to know if it may be a bad VGA cable or something like that.

Collapse -
Yes,

In reply to: Is this the laptop you tried to install XP?

This is the same laptop were I installed XP, all my buttons that needs the [fn] keys work, there is nothing wrong with them. The [fn] key is not the problem, the problem is keeping my VGA cable connected.

Thanks.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.