Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Help with IP problem

Hello all.

I'm running a PC at home with a dial up connection. AMD Athlon 900 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HD, 128 MB Radeon 9200 video card, Conexant SoftK56 Data, Fax, Speakerphone PCI modem.

WIN 98 SE, Norton Antivirus 2003. Orbiter 2005 Space Flight Simulator and Virtual Mission Control server V2.

My problem comes using the VMC server, which, you may want to know, is used to simulate telemetry from Orbiter SFS. No body has been able to connect to my server, although I have no problem connecting to other people's server.

First, someone suggested that I check for a firewall in my system. None. Then another person said there might be a "router" in my ISP. I called them and they said the router is there, but it shouldn't be a problem. (That's what they said.)

I have checked my IP address in several ways. Software, whatismyipaddress.com, sending e mail to myself, etc. All report the same IP address, but when someone wants to conect to me they get a message saying that IP does not exist.

I don't know if this is enough information. I hope I can find someone here who could help me.

Kind Regards,

Joe R.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with IP problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with IP problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you forwarded any ports...

In reply to: Help with IP problem

Collapse -
RE Have you forwarded any ports...

In reply to: Have you forwarded any ports...

Wow!!!

Thank you very much for your reply. I am a complete neophite in regards to networking so I may have to spend the next couple of weeks reading and trying to find out how to do that. But at least there seems to be light at the end of this tunnel. Happy

If there is any other suggestion I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again, Michael

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!