PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Help with Intel Proccessor

by sunnydjs / May 16, 2006 3:23 PM PDT

I need help with deciding what proccessor to buy with a computer I am buying. It has an Intel motherboard, 2 gigs of ram, and a 7900 GTX vid card (later upgradeable to 2.) I use my system for lots of gaming, internet surfing, typing documents and sending e-mails. I would like to have a duel core proccessor, but I am worried that its lowish speed will impead my gaming. The proccessor I am looking at is the Intel Pentium D 3.4 gh. Do you think this would be a good bet? Or would I be better off with something like the P 4 3.8 gh single core proccessor? I would like to keep the proccessor price under $600, if possible. Also, how does that 3.4 gh duel core chip compare to AMD's X2 4800 duel core? Secondly, what is the speed difference the Intel 955 EE and that 3.4 duel core? Thirdly, I want to upgrade my system to Vista when it comes out, so I want to buy a proccessor compatible with that. Finally, will buying a single core proccessor impede my gaming if and when games come out with full duel core support, even if the single core is faster that the duel core? I hope I didn't overwhelm you with all these questions Happy Hope you can help!
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with Intel Proccessor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with Intel Proccessor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you're going to be gaming...
by nathanpsz2 / May 16, 2006 10:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
amd now, or intel now and later
by ramarc / May 16, 2006 11:07 PM PDT

amd chips are always faster at games so you can fit an athlon 64 x2 4600+ in your $600 budget.

if you want to stick with intel, you should hedge your bet. no pentium single core is a good buy now because they're being obsoleted. i suggest you get a motherboard with an i975x chipset, buy a pentium-d 805 ($135) as a temporary processor, and OC it to about 3.2ghz. then in july/august, get one of the new conroe chips for $450. they will smoke an athlon x2.

here's a link to compare CPU performance of most current chips: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html
here's a link that previews conroe performance: http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=794&cid=1

Collapse -
Couple of questions...
by sunnydjs / May 17, 2006 1:43 AM PDT

First of all, thanks for the help! Can you send me a link to where I can see one of those i975X motherboards? Also, I have not tried overclocking yet, any good guides you know of out there? Finally, I have done some easy upgrades to my computer (vid card, ram) but have never changed a proccessor. Do you know of any good guides to that I could look at? Finally, do you think that several different kinds of conroe chips will come out? And will all of them work with this motherboard? Thanks!

Collapse -
couple of answers
by ramarc / May 17, 2006 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Couple of questions...

I'd recommend an ASUS P5WD2 motherboard. It's expensive but it is the best Intel based mobo available. Here's a review:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Nzg2LDcsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

Here's another article about OC'ing a Pentium D 805 using the ASUS mobo:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/page29.html

I wouldn't recommend OC'ing the 805 to 4ghz, but you should be able to simply increase the FSB from 133 to 150/166 and get it running at 3.0/3.3ghz with little fuss. Here's a page with some more info: http://www.overclockers.com/topiclist/index.asp for some links on OC'ing.

Replacing a CPU in a LGA-775 socket is really simple. Take a look at page 32 of this document: ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/d1047101_en.pdf

When Conroe is released there'll be at least 4 different speeds. From theinquirer.net: "The E6700, a 2.67GHz chip with 4MB of cache and a 1066 front side bus will cost $529 while the E6600, a 2.40GHz version will cost $315. The other two members of the family have 2MB of cache apiece, with the E6400 (2.13GHz) costing $240, while the E6300 (1.86GHz) will cost $210."

The i975x chipset is Intel's recommended chipset for Conroe. ASUS has one of the best engineering staffs and you can rest assured that Conroe will with that motherboard.

Collapse -
More (yet again!) questions
by sunnydjs / May 17, 2006 3:40 PM PDT
In reply to: couple of answers

Thanks for all the help guys! The Conroe chip definatly sounds interesting. So...this intel i955X motherboard should be able to upgrade to a conroe? Also, I am thinking of getting a AMD X2 4800+ chip. Any idea what the difference between this chip and the 4600 is? They have the same basic clock speed, but the 4600 is cheaper. What is a better buy (for mostly gaming?) Also, if I had this chip liquid-cooled, how far do you think I could OC it? Thanks for the support!

Collapse -
i975x supports conroe
by ramarc / May 18, 2006 1:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just a note. While Intel chipsets
by Ray Harinec / May 17, 2006 2:18 AM PDT

are excellent, Intel mobos provide only the minimal capability. My recco is to get a mobo made by one of the other companies, but uses the Intel Chipset. You'll get far more capability usually.

Read up at Tomshardware, the same ite that ramarc gave you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.