Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help with installing Windows XP Professional

by DoomDenman / January 4, 2007 5:13 AM PST

I need help with installing Windows XP Pro. I have a second computer(But not as good as this one) that has Windows XP, but I don't have the disc. I backed it up onto an ISO, so now when I try to run it it's just like the CD. It starts to install fine, but then suddenly an error comes up when it's at the copying Installation Files stage:

An error occurred while copying file a9krp76y.sys to C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\a9krp76y.sys.

The File is Missing. Please Contact your system Administrator.

You may choose to retry the copy, skip this file or exit Setup.

*If you select retry, Setup will try to copy the file again(Tried, didn't work)

*If you select Skip File, the File will not be copied(It restarted the computer, but when it started the setup, it said

Unable to find a9krp76y.sys.

Press any key to restart your computer.

And there's an option to cancel the setup(I always end up doing that :()

I restart my computer whenever it does that, but it always gets stuck on a different file.
If it's a problem with the CD copy or whatever, can someone tell me where to get that folder so it won't have to be copied?(Whenever I restart my computer, it give me the option of Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Setup(Which gives me the a9krp76y.sys not found error).

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with installing Windows XP Professional
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with installing Windows XP Professional
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Create a new CDR.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 5:30 AM PST

Try again. It may just read it.

But how did you lose 2 XP CDs? I can understand 1 but 2?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Create a new CDR.
by DoomDenman / January 4, 2007 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: Create a new CDR.

I tried. I only lost the only CD I have, but one of my computers is only windows 2000. I tried this around 20 times.
Is there any way that I can just get the whole folder that I need?

Collapse -
Its one of 2 things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Create a new CDR.

Bad image or a failing CD drive. You can't imagine how many times I put in a new CDRW or DVDRW drive and an error like that vanishes. Next question I hear from the owner is "How can I fix my drive?"

You don't want to hear the sounds from the office.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Its one of 2 things.
by DoomDenman / January 4, 2007 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: Its one of 2 things.

I ripped the files off of the CD onto my computer, and I'm using PowerISO to open it(I don't want to risk getting the CD stuck in there from the computer not being able to turn on(That happened to one of my old computers, got a cd stuck in the drive))
So my XP disc is ruined?
Maybe it's just those files, I think it would help if I could get a download of the $WIN_NT$.~BT folder(or whatever it's called)

Collapse -
Oh, that doesn't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2007 6:03 AM PST

Sorry, I see the problem now. No CDR. Some "emulation".

If you feel this should work, talk to Microsoft.

Bob

Collapse -
OS installs..
by castingRod47 / January 5, 2007 2:30 AM PST

You might be able to INSTALL a RETAIL ver. of XP on a second PC..
But if your first PC was a DELL it has an OEM OS..it won't install on a second machine..even another DELL won't run it..
I have a Full Version of XP SP2 Professional from New Egg.com....
it cost $$279.00...the BOX has a Part.No./0804 Part No. X10-87160
Its about one year old so far...perfect..
I have had problems w/OS Upgrade CD's..
I like the Full Version so far..
Also/I don't make COPIES of my Software Programs..only the Updates or Drivers go into my Library..OS..Media and Sound Card CD's get taken care of.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?