TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Help with home video connections

by bones1971 / September 4, 2005 2:24 AM PDT

I am having trouble connecting cable, satellite. VCR, DVD, and surround sound.

I have a cable coming into the cable box, and the satellite cable coming into the satellite receiver(box). Now the info:

-I watch the cable on channel 4
-I watch satellite on channel 3
-I want to be able to record both cable and satellite with my VCR.
-be able to watch both VCR tapes and DVD disc(obviously)
-Each box(cable, satellite, VCR) have a cable in/out and red, white, yellow, Av connections. The only one that doesn't is my DVD player which has an S-video connection.(Thats whats confusing)

Any help would be much appreciated. I am banging my head against the wall trying to get it to work.
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with home video connections
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with home video connections
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this
by TrumanII / September 4, 2005 4:51 AM PDT

The best way is to purchase (Very inexpensive at Best Buy) a Video Multiplexer Box which allows you to input all your Video Sources it handles around 5-6 different sources(RCA and S-VHS inputs are included) into this box and the multiplexer has a single output to your video monitor/tv. This is the easiest method with all YOUR needs. OR of course, get a new A/V Stereo Unit they have these days, most all of them will handle all you mentioned and more and then plays it back in 5.1 Dolby DTS (Digital Theatre Sound) or EX 6.1 Surround, whatever, but then you need to invest in not only that stereo but a set of Surround Speakers....so that would be a more expensive option of course...GOOD LUCK!

Collapse -
I need more info
by madjik9 / September 4, 2005 4:56 AM PDT

What kind of inputs does your tv have? Does it have A & B antenna inputs, or are you using an A/B switch?

Next, it is likely that the vcr only has one composite a/v input (y,r,w) on the rear. It may also have one on the front, but it is ugly to connect cables to this input permanently. If this is true, connect either the cable box or the sat box to the vcr with a standard screw-on coax cable. The vcr can now view or record the cable or sat box on channel 3. Now take the other device and connect it to the vcr using the y-r-w composite a/v cables. The vcr can now view or record from the second device when it is switched to something that should be referred to as "input 1" or "line 1".

Now to connect the vcr to the tv. This is why I need to know what kind of inputs the tv has. You can use the coax input, and view the vcr on channel 3 (or4). If the TV has one set of y-r-w a/v inputs you will need to use those for the DVD player. If it has more than one, use one for the DVD player and one for the vcr, as this will improve the picture from the vcr.

As for the S-video, I assume that the TV does not have this type of video input. This is a video only cable that improves picture quality over the Yellow composite video cable. If your tv had this input, you would use it instead of the yellow cable. You would still connect the red and white stereo audio cable the same as before

Collapse -
almost enough info..
by sirroundsound / September 4, 2005 5:29 AM PDT

You don't mention what type of TV you have (make and model would help) and surround sound system. Both these items will help determine if there is a better way to connect everything, or if another piece of equipment might be needed, Truman might be on the right track, but his example doesn't explain the connections to the VCR for recording, nor does he say how this box works? I/R or is it manual switching? So far it seems like you are not getting the best picture from your equipment, how are you connecting both the satellite and cable box to enable you to watch one on ch3 and the other on ch4? 2 coax inputs on the back of the TV (ant A and ant B?) Seems like a system that could also be overly complicated to operate.

Collapse -
Thanks
by bones1971 / September 4, 2005 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: almost enough info..

Thanks guys, I will get that info on the surround sound and Tv as soon as I get my in-laws out of my house.LOL!

Collapse -
Ok, here is more info
by bones1971 / September 4, 2005 10:06 AM PDT
TV 36'' Toshiba (Not sure of model) bought in 1998
- 3 cable connections(ANT 1, OUT, ANT 2)
- DVD IN w/ L and R audio connections. Color
StreamInput w/ GREEN, BLUE, RED
connections.
- 3 sets of a/v connections (labeled video,
video1, video2).

CABLE box Scientific Atlanta
- 1 CABLE IN and 1 CABLE OUT connection
- 1 set of AUDIO/VIDEO (red, white, yellow)

SATELLITE box Direct TV receiver
- 1 SATELLITE IN connection
- 1 OUT TO TV connection
- 1 OFF AIR connection
- 2 sets of AUDIO/VIDEO (red, white, yellow)

VCR Panasonic VCR Plus Omnisvision 4-head hi-fi
- 1 OUT TO TV connection
- 1 IN FROM TV connection
- 2 sets of AUDIO/VIDEO (red. white, yellow)

DVD Sony DVP NS700
- 2 sets AUDIO/VIDEO connections
- 2 S-VIDEO (1,2) connections

SURROUND SOUND Technics SA-EX310
It has a number of a/v cionnections for TV/DVD, TAPE, and CD.

Guys, I hope this is specific enough. Like I said before. I just want to be able to watch and tape both Cable and Satellite while listening to both in surround sound. Thanks again for any info.
Collapse -
Getting close
by madjik9 / September 4, 2005 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok, here is more info

I guess I didn't read the first message close enough, I didn't realize there was a surround reciever as well. If the reciever supports video switching, which almost all do, then you're golden.
Connect both the sat and cable boxes to the reciever. That's 2 sets of y-r-w a/v cables directly to the Technics reciever. If you do this correctly, the reciever can switch between the two boxes, allowing for surround sound on each.
Now connect the vcr to the reciever using 2 more sets of y-r-w a/v cables. The reciever should have vcr in and out. Connect the output of the vcr to the vcr in on the reciever. Then the vcr out on the reviever to the in on the vcr. Note that in this set-up, the vcr will always need to be on the correct input, probabally labeled "line 1" for a Panasonic vcr.
Now connect the Monitor out from the reciever to the video one input on the tv. When watching cable, sat or vcr, the tv will need to be on the video one input.
Now for the dvd player. It's strange that the tv has no s-video inputs, and it's a rare dvd player these days that doesn't have a component video output. If this is in fact the case, then another set of the same a/v cables can be used to connect the dvd player to the reciever.
I hope the reciever has enough inputs!
Now, if you can watch it, you can record it, except maybe for dvd's. Most vcr's have chips in them that prevent them from recording copyrighted dvd's. Stupid, but that's how it is.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Sony dvd should have component video
by sirroundsound / September 4, 2005 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Getting close

The dvd player should have component video connections which if you want the best picture should be used to connect to the TV, the audio would still get connected to the surround.
If the other posters connections will work, great, I couldn't find any info about your surround so I don't know how many inputs it has. If not, let us know, there are other ways to connect all this. They will be a little more complicated but you can get the results you are looking for.

Collapse -
BET YOU CANT FIGURE THIS ONE OUT ?
by stewart norrie / September 5, 2005 7:46 AM PDT

this is stewart norrie calling, I hooked up my progressive scan sony d.v.d. player using componit vidio cables nasty picture I couldnt figure what the problem was so I went and bought another denon player new cables NADDA, So I finally bought a DENON 2900 player with d.v.i. output and a gifin d.v.i. switcher now my dish hi-def satellite and d.v.d. player look stunning I still dont know why componit vidio cables wouldnt work ? stewart norrie cadillacstew@aol.com

Collapse -
nasty picture?
by sirroundsound / September 5, 2005 1:18 PM PDT

What exactly do you mean by nasty? You don't say that you checked the set up on your projector, the component input often has more than one set up in many projectors, and if it's looking for a different type of signal (not component) you may get a messed up picture. Some DVD players also require that you go into the dvd player set up menu and say whether the component output is interlaced or progressive, all this information should have been in the owners manuals. If all this was done, and you are positive everything was connected correctly, and the cables were good, then I would be concerned that I had either a DVD player or projector with a fault.

Collapse -
Recording with this method
by sirroundsound / September 5, 2005 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Getting close

One glitch, by hooking everything up to the receiver, yes you can record either satellite or cable box, but you will have to be watching what you are recording. The video "output" from the technics will only be outputting the source that has been selected, thus you can't watch one while recording the other.

One simple way around that, keep all the connections through the receiver, this will offer surround, and an easy way to switch from one source to another. Go to Radio Shack (or the "Source" as it's now called up here)
You are looking for a coaxial A/B switch. Should be a small black box with 2 buttons on the front and 3 coax connections on the back. They will be coax A,coax B and output (out to TV).Hook your satellite coax output to A and your cable box coax output to B,and then run a coax from the output of the A/B box into the Coax in on your VCR. Then you can take the coax out from your VCR to the ANT A input on your TV.
Now you can record either box and still watch whatever you want.
To test - select "A" on the A/B switch, turn vcr on to ch 3 (or 4 if thats how you set your vcr up), turn TV to ANT A CH 3(or 4 again, depending on your setup)You should be watching your satellite. To program, if your cable box or satellite have programming functions to allow you to turn them on a ch. at a certain time you can use this, and program your vcr to come on and record ch 3 at the same time, make sure the A/B switch is in the right position, and it should work.
To watch something else while recording - If your vcr was recording the satellite as an example, you can now go to Video 1 on your TV, turn on the receiver, select the input for your cable box and start watching cable channels. The A/B switch is only for recording use, and doesn't effect the audio video (y, r, w) cables you used to connect to the reciever. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?