Alert

Help with home sound system

I'm looking to get a home theater system for my TV, Satechi Cyclone Micro 2+ (USB2.0 1080p Media Player Adapter), Nintendo-Wii, Technics SL1210MK2 turntables, and if possible even to connect my Macbook directly or via Airport express / Wifi. Can you suggest how i can possibly do this with a budget of $1-1.2k? I am hoping for a simple setup with speakers mounted on the wall without visible wires. Thanks a lot!!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help with home sound system
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help with home sound system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sure

Just make certain the receiver you end up with (some folks go with all in one HTIB systems) has the appropriate inputs for your turntable. Otherwise, you would have to buy a separate preamp if all it had was 'aux in'. The following model is quite popular:
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-PP400-Ultra-Compact-Phono-Preamp/dp/B000H2BC4E%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid940436-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB000H2BC4E

You will have to figure out how you are going to hide your wires.

FWIW, Airport express can utilize a $5 digital optical cable to connect directly to that input on the receiver/HTIB system.

Examples:

Speakers-

Energy Take Classic 5.1
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348770126&sr=1-1&keywords=energy+take+classic+5.1

Reciver-

Denon AVR 1613
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1613-Channel-Networking-Receiver/dp/B007R8U5QW/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348770159&sr=1-4&keywords=Denon+AV

*I picked this one because it has a strong feature set, including apps. You could grab the $20 photo preamp, or find a different receiver model with traditional phono input, sans all the bells whistles of this model. My guess is you would have to use one anyway since newer receivers don't typically have dual phono inputs.

- Collapse -
Selection of receivers / speakers vs HTIB

Hi Pepe7

Thanks so much with your suggestions & help.

Would you recommend looking for separate receivers & speakers, or all in a box (HTIB) would suffice? Do you have any idea about the Denon DHT-1312XP?

Thanks!

- Collapse -
I usually prefer separates

Finding a HTIB might be OK if it fits your budget/needs. YMMV.

That Denon might suit your needs, but does it actually have phono inputs? Seems sort of low end compared to some of the other offerings by Denon.

- Collapse -
What about a sound bar?

What do you think about a sound bar instead of a HTIB? I was researching and came across this Yamaha YHT-S401. Thanks!

- Collapse -
It might

The drawback I see, being a soundbar instead of real 5.1 speakers, is the lack of real surround sound. Also, it can only accommodate a single analog input. One of your turntables would have to be set aside in this regard.

It's probably a little overpriced too. YMMV.

CNET Forums