Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Help with highlighting in Word 2003

Hello,
This is my first thread in here. So, here it goes...I have this question : What do i do to highlight the current line in Microsoft Word? It sounds easy but it isn't...The problem is that i want this do be done automatically each time i move the cursor (either by using the arrow keys or the mouse). The classic solution (3 clicks and use the highlight button) is not an option for me nor i can use a macro since it doesn't accept the mouse click as a key combination). There are many editors that always highlight the current line. Isn't there anything relevant in Word too? It should make it more comfortable when processing large text files.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with highlighting in Word 2003
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with highlighting in Word 2003
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not a macro?

In reply to: Help with highlighting in Word 2003

Your "spec" so far is... "highlight the current line in Microsoft Word"

The spec is light but I'll take the words CURRENT LINE to be just the entire line and not a sentence. The macro would be the HOME key, then SHIFT-END and then the HIGHLIGHT macro.

Done.

Bob

Collapse -
Reply : Why not a macro?

In reply to: Why not a macro?

Thank you R. Proffitt, but as i mentioned in my first post this macro highlights the line(you were right about the sentence - i just want the line) but i have to use a key combination for this macro. I just wanted to do this : wherever i place the cursor (using the mouse) the line gets highlighted...This is available i.e. in my editor for writing source code(dev-c++) but i can't find it in microsoft word...

Collapse -
Then you need to have someone code it for you.

In reply to: Reply : Why not a macro?

Macros and VBA are something of a mystery until we hit the books or take a class. I offered the quick macro cure but I feel you need a step by step click by click example. Sorry I only offer a guide and you do the rest so you can maintain and understand the solution.

Maybe another member will offer more than a guide or idea.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Then you need to have someone code it for you.

I'm sorry maybe i didn't explain well what i want but anyway...As far as the click by click lesson i have already built a macro by myself using the Ctrl-7 sequence to highlight each line but this is not exactly what i want. Anyway thanks for the interest

Collapse -
That's one keystroke. Could you explain...

In reply to: Reply

EXACTLY what you want? Maybe you could tie it to your mouse? I have a mouse which their software could issue the needed control-7 on a middle click. But that's all up to your choice of what to do with that or if your mouse does that.

It appears to me that you have your solution.

Bob

Collapse -
I'll explain

In reply to: That's one keystroke. Could you explain...

First of all this is a forum for questions and help so there is no need to answer to my questions if you find them silly. Moreover, i am not going to use this macro but some others who just asked me a plain way to highlight each line as they are going to work to large txt files and they don't want to get lost. I don't think that suggesting a Ctrl-7 option would be elegant and would tire them to do it all the time. Also, i don't want sequential highlighting(i.e. i want to jump from a line to another and also the previous one should be de-highlighted always!). And if you want EXACTLY to see what i mean try to download if you want UltraEdit and see how each line can be highlighted with just a left click and no macros.

Collapse -
Ahh, bookmarks.

In reply to: I'll explain

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.