Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

help with gettin a xbox 360 to work correctly with hughes.ne

by MilesPerHour85 / December 23, 2006 3:15 AM PST

I am very new to all of this and dont know all the computer lingo at all. my problem is that I live in an area where satellite internet is the only option for high speed internet, when I created my xbox 360 live acct and tried to connect through my hughes net I had the folling problems. my modem is a dw 7000 and only has 1 ethernet port and my computer does not have any but one either so I have to connect straight through my modem as far as I can tell, however as I said before I dont know much about this at all. when i connect it does connect just fine but I will lose connection pretty frequently, and even when connected I try to play games online there is about a five second lag in everthing I do. when I spoke to the folks at hughes net they told me that they are not famillar with the xbox 360 live at all wowever they also saaid that if it is set up correctly it should work as well as cable internet. so I figure there may be a nother way to connect it or some settings that I can change in my pc to correct the problem when doin a system connection test on my xbox it goes in this order ad these are the results 1 network adapter- connected 2. ip adress- ok 3 dns -ok 4.mtu-ok 5 icmp- FAILED(always) then comes 6xbox live and 7. nat. but because icmp failes it will not test 6 or 7 . So i figure it has to do with the icmp which I have no idea what any of this means. If there are any computer experts out there that also know xbox 360 live please help me. I love my xbox live but with the tremendous lag my gamersore is going down the drain. if you can help me please reply or email me directly at tamos78@hughes.net thank you so much. mph

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help with gettin a xbox 360 to work correctly with hughes.ne
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help with gettin a xbox 360 to work correctly with hughes.ne
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry. Gamers should never use Sat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2006 4:57 AM PST

The ping times are too high. There's not much you can do since the speed of light to/from the Sat is why this is so.

Even if you got it to work, you would only lose any online game.

Bob

Collapse -
xbox 360 compatibility with Hughes net.
by geronino / January 16, 2007 5:37 AM PST

connecting my xbox 360 through my router or directly to my modem I lose my ISP after I connect with an opponent and we proceed to the kickoff. I lose the connection before the kickoff, either NCAA 07 or MADDEN 07.

Collapse -
Hint. Speed of light over how many miles?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2007 6:42 AM PST

What's the ping time?

Bob

Collapse -
answer for your problem
by suffacate ego / October 25, 2007 10:50 AM PDT

I was in the same perdiciment as you. ICMP (Internet Control Messaging Protocol) is a HUGE part of the xbox live connection. Hughes net does not suggest that we use xbox live because of the 1 second delay. If you go on xbox360.com you will find a source of networking compatibility with xbox live. You will search for hughes net under all the other leading high speed internet and you wont find it. That will answer why you cant get on xbox live. Im in the woods and the only highspeed internet i can get hughes net or wildblue. But neither have a compatibility with xbox live. Your heart will be shattered just like mine is. But if you have a computer you will have a fast internet. But you can try this that i havent. Get you a netgear router and make sure you at least 3 ethernet cables to rout it to your xbox. the guide to the router that you will buy will tell you how to install it. The MTU may fail but wait a little while and then test your connection. Also make sure that the router you get has firmware 1.0 or any versions. that might help you confirm your ICMP. any more questions feel free to email me at gradsenior07@yahoo.com. later

Collapse -
360 live hughesnet
by sduncan00 / July 14, 2009 10:32 AM PDT

how do i get it to work

Collapse -
"the 1 second delay."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2009 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: 360 live hughesnet

At that delay how could it ever be usable?

Collapse -
xbox live with hughesnet
by sduncan00 / July 14, 2009 10:40 AM PDT

did your answer work

Collapse -
xbox live and hughs net...
by jessieg21 / September 22, 2009 1:54 PM PDT

ok here it is i am trying to connect to xbox live with hughesnet and everytime i try it keeps say that your console can connect but your router or gateway doesn't responed with your ICMP respons... sometime i can get on just can find a game session and others i cant.. i just bought a router netgear...its WGR614 my email is jessie_gledhill@yahoo.com please help i really want to play

Collapse -
You may have missed why it shouldn't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2009 10:11 PM PDT

Read the above until you figure it out.

Collapse -
BLEW YOUR MINDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by hugesnetdoeswork / March 13, 2011 12:09 PM PDT

it does just get a router and follow the instructions on xbox.com/support boom just blew your minds(with no lag too!);)

Collapse -
It does not work even with a router!!!!!!
by pulley_casey / March 18, 2011 2:07 PM PDT

Okay I've been reading this and I have just recently hooked up to xbox live and I use Hughesnet and I also use a brand new Belkin router so I can hook up everything I need. It still lags like crazy. I can get online fine and everything and get matched up for battles and stuff but when I finally get in gameplay I can't even move forward without it lagging!!!! It is the most annoying thing ever, I live in the rural area of my town and can't get any other kind of internet. So I'd say im pretty SCREWED!!!

Collapse -
I'm unsure about huges.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2011 2:13 PM PDT

Given the ping time caused by the sheer distances to the geosync sat, I had hopes that everyone would figure it out.

It's not for gamers.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!