There are a few ways to do this:
1. Right click on any blank space and you will see the option to "make a new folder"
2. Hold down the Control Key and click the mouse. (See above)
3. In the Finder, in the menu bar. File > New Folder
4. Hold down the Shift Key + Command Key + N
That's enough to be going on with. You can give these new, Untitled Folder, folders any name you want.
Couple of ways to do this too.
1. Single click in the name under the folder. It will become highlighted. Type whatever you want there
2. Single click the icon, in the menu bar, choose File, Get Info. In the name and extension field, type the new name
3. Single click the icon, hold down the Command key and press the I key. (See above for the rest)
Is this what you are talking about???
Earlier today I was watching videos from the TED confrences and I saw Adam Savage's presentation. I noticed he talked about his "Creative Projects" folder and I was wondering where I could make such a folder myself. I, like Adam also like to collect ideas and pictures to create a better understanding of the object. So if someone could help that would be great. Thanks!