Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help with floppy disc icon!

by ExpressFran / October 29, 2005 3:22 AM PDT

Iam very new to computers and my friend was trying to help me with something, and she did something. And now the 3 1/2 floppy dis is in the systray? Have right click it to deleat, but not able to do that! So, I went to a blank part on the tray and tried to do it there! Still cant get rid of it? If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate the help, I'm getting up in age and I really enjoy this dumb machine, or should I say I'm the dumb one! Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with floppy disc icon!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with floppy disc icon!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
floppy dis
by ExpressFran / October 29, 2005 3:25 AM PDT

For got to add, I have windows 98se it was given to me.Sorry

Collapse -
A Drive Icon
by The Fly / October 29, 2005 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: floppy dis

I am not sure if this is the answer or not, but right click on the task bar and select Toolbars. See if the A drive (3 1/2" floppy drive) is listed and has a check mark next to it. If so, click on it to remove the check mark.

Collapse -
floppy icon
by ExpressFran / October 29, 2005 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: A Drive Icon

I did as you suggested and it was not listed. It had links and that other stuff? I could pinch my "friends" head off! Does it hurt anything? See, thats how new Iam!

Collapse -
Quick launch???
by Bob__B / October 29, 2005 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: floppy icon

Right click a blank area of the task bar.

Bring your pointer up to tool bars.

Is there a tick in quick launch?

If so untick it and see if the issue goes away.

Collapse -
Floppy disc
by ExpressFran / October 29, 2005 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Quick launch???

No there is nothing there except tool bars? I un checked the Quick luch(sp) now have I made a real mess out of everything?

Collapse -
Re: Floppy disc icon?
by Kees Bakker / October 29, 2005 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: floppy dis

Fran,

I've never seen a floppy disc icon in the Systray. AFAIK there's the clock, Volume Control if you say so somewhere in Control Panel>Multimedia, and icons to activate running programs (like mouse driver, zonealarm and AVG).

So let's start with getting the facts about this mystery icon.
1. Do you really mean the Systray (next to the clock)?
2. Does it have a yellow-bar-help-desk popping up (like Clock and Volume Control) if you put your mouse over it?
3. What happens if you click on the icon?
4. What happens if you right-click on the item?
5. If you press ctrl-alt-del to get into Task Manager (with 'nothing' running, just the normal desktop immediately after boot-up, what programs do you see?
6. If you end all of these program one by one (don't end Systray and Explorer) when does this icon disappear?

The answers might help to find how to disable it.

Kees

Collapse -
Floppy disc
by ExpressFran / October 29, 2005 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Floppy disc icon?

Thank you Kees, for taking the time.. 1. yes-beside it, it has arrows, links I assume? 2. No 3. Window explorer A:\ is not accessible the device is not ready retry or cancel 4. Open, explore,find,copy disk.. Scan A:\ Format create shortcut properties 5. Sorry dont understand this one or 6. Fran

Collapse -
A Drive
by The Fly / October 29, 2005 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Floppy disc

Perhaps your friend could tell you what she was doing when this happened and you could post that here. It would be helpful if she could provide step by step (or as close as possible) what she was working in (Control Panel, a program, what program,etc., what she was doing at the time, what she was trying to do, anything she clicked on, etc. Try to be as specific as possible in the steps leading up to this.

Collapse -
floppy disc
by ExpressFran / October 29, 2005 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: A Drive

She has no idea, nor do I! I can bet she doesnt touch this old puter again, just stuck with it! thanks for everyones help..Fran

Collapse -
Re: drive icon
by Kees Bakker / October 29, 2005 8:25 PM PDT
In reply to: floppy disc

Fran,

I don't know of any way to put a shortcut in the Systray. And it definitely is a shortcut to A:, just as you can make it on the desktop.

If it's in the regular taskbar (like a minimized Explorer running) there might be ways to find out where it comes from and delete it. But you're sure about it being in the Systray, which makes it a mystery.

All I can advise: have a look at the registry in the 2 locations mentioned in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB%3BEN-US%3Bq259744
The value with me (in Windows 95) is 6. I didn't check my Windows 98 system. If it's anything else than 7 with you, try what happens if you change both of them to 7. It's a definition of the 'services' offered by the systray-program. Maybe some bit tells systray to display a shortcut to the a:-drive? Be careful, but I would say 7 is a safe value to use (whatever it means, because it seems to be undocumented).

If it all does is showing a little icon and no more and the registry edit doesn't help, just leave it alone. It's not worth the trouble of a reinstall of Windows, I should say.

Kees

Collapse -
Floppy disc
by ExpressFran / October 30, 2005 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: drive icon

Thanks so much for the info Kees. I really appreciate the advice. It is terrible when someone is so new to computers and they get stuck, then they have to ask for Help. But, at my age I dont mind!Thanks Fly too. Fran

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!