HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

HELP !!!!!! with easy cleaner!!

by imgrateful_1 / January 21, 2006 8:59 AM PST

Forgive me for posting as a new topic, but my plea for help I fear will be lost among the others. So here it is!!!

Easy Cleaner
HELP!!!!! I down loaded easy cleaner after careful reading of these forum posts on the subject of registry cleaners. When it comes to something this deep, I am definitely a "newie"!!! I chose Easy, because I am wise enough to be aware of good info. Like Fred Langa news letter on computer "stuff". So I figured I couldn't go wrong. Now I wonder?? I started with the dup list. And then read that not all should be deleted. All on the list had green buttons in front of them. is that guaranteed safe to delete then? Right now that list is in the recyle bin. At this point I can restore everything and pretend I didn't do any thing! As far as internet stuff I am in the habit of taking care of that daily. (cookies, temp file, history) So that part of the job is already done. I guess the main thing is HELP!!! with deciding what stays and goes!!!! PLease and thank you very much. In your debt !!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP !!!!!! with easy cleaner!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP !!!!!! with easy cleaner!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's your operating system?
by nino88 / January 21, 2006 3:58 PM PST

If XP, then you don't need to clean the registry. I actually tried easycleaner to clean up my registry once and almost got screwed. Fortunately I could restore the backup. Some softwares just couldn't work properly after I cleaned the registry.

Now I don't clean the registry anymore since people here said it's not necessary for XP users. But I did try the Tweaknow reg cleaner once (just to experiment) and delete all the unnecessary reg. as suggested. Amazingly, everything still work fine after that clean up.

Collapse -
System restore for corecting my mistake!!!
by imgrateful_1 / January 21, 2006 5:30 PM PST

Thank you ninofor your repy to my original post!!! I guess in my desire to learn things on this pc of mine, I must enjoy getting into trouble!!! haha!! Happy I thought I would be ok!! It wasn't like I just blindly jumped into making the decision. It was after reading all these posts!!! Most every one seemed to have good reviews on this procedure! Oh well!!! "Live and learn!" Oh yes. I did a system restore after this escapade of mine.

Collapse -
My advice is be careful!
by glenn30 / January 22, 2006 4:31 AM PST

I use Easy Cleaner but inexperienced or newbies should stay away from the ''Duplicates'' list. Removing duplicates can be tricky and sometimes the differences are only suttle. The other checks have never caused me any problem.

Glenn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.