Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Help with DVD Speeds

by janenolan / March 26, 2006 7:33 AM PST

I bought a VCR/DVD unit and there is no mention in the booklet about the proper DVD-R or DVD+R (this unit handles both types) speeds to buy. This unit came with 5 DVD+R's 4.7 gig.
I was at a store today and saw these discs with 8X and 16X speeds. Which should I buy for my unit? Will my unit be able to handle both and how about when the speeds increase? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with DVD Speeds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with DVD Speeds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That should be in the unit's specs, instruction manual, etc.
by Kiddpeat / March 26, 2006 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: Help with DVD Speeds

If it isn't, check the manufacturer's web site, or Google for a review of the unit.

Since you didn't supply the brand and model, it's not possible to provide a better answer.

Collapse -
LiteOn Unity
by janenolan / March 26, 2006 9:43 AM PST

Sorry but it is the LiteOn VCR/DVD Recorder LVC-9016G. Does this help? Thanks

Collapse -
I tried, but I didn't spot any specs anywhere.
by Kiddpeat / March 26, 2006 11:13 AM PST
In reply to: LiteOn Unity

My suggestion is to use the slowest recording speed possible. That probably means that it can use any blank DVDs. I would get 4x or less. Higher speed disks are probably a waste of money.

Collapse -
Help with DVD Speeds
by SunderlandFan / March 27, 2006 5:16 AM PST

Your player will play all speeds. The speed of the cd/dvd relates to the burning speed. Check the speed of your burner and buy disks accordingly. Stay away from 1x or 2x speed, they usually have warnings on them about not being able to play on all players/burners. I buy 8x and burn at 4x but that is just me. With video I prefer quality not speed.

SF

Collapse -
He can't find the speed of his burner. Perhaps you should
by Kiddpeat / March 27, 2006 7:12 AM PST

look that up before advising him on burning speeds.

Collapse -
Re: He can't find the speed of his burner.
by SunderlandFan / March 27, 2006 9:49 PM PST

He said he bought a vcr/dvd unit. He didn't mention anything about a burner. This is obviously a player, vcr being a video cassette recorder (with a built in dvd player). I believe I gave the correct advice.

SF

Collapse -
Ummmmmmmmm, then he wouldn't be asking what speed
by Kiddpeat / March 27, 2006 11:22 PM PST

to buy would he? You talked about burning at 4x, etc. That was because..........

Have you ever seen a DVD player that records on VHS? What brand and model would that be? I would like to add it to me collection of curiosities.

Collapse -
Re: Ummmmmmmmm, then he wouldn't be asking what speed
by SunderlandFan / March 28, 2006 5:55 AM PST

Please don't get on my case. So I missed the post where she said it was a recorder, isn't it up to janenolan to complain, not you?
For your information even vcr/dvd players can record on vhs tape side.

SF

Collapse -
The Bottom Line Is.....
by janenolan / March 28, 2006 11:02 PM PST

So I should stick with 8X and not 16X for my LiteOn VCR/DVD Combo Unit? Would 16X hurt the unit in any way?

By the way I burned 3 DVD'S (DVD+R) and only one will play in my computer. I finalized all 3 but this problem persists. Thanks

Collapse -
You just MIGHT want to try some 4X disks especially if
by Kiddpeat / March 28, 2006 11:18 PM PST

8x and 16x are not working. Your unit probably does not do well at high speed.

Collapse -
Re: The Bottom Line Is.....
by SunderlandFan / March 29, 2006 12:26 AM PST

I presume you are recording something from the tv as this is a stand alone recorder. Do the burnt disks play back on this unit? When you play them on your computer what software do you use and what is the error message?

With respect to the disks, you recorder will record at 1x as you are copying from a 1x source. While the speed of the disks should not be a problem the make of disk may well be. Did you buy good media, what type was it?

Go to www.videohelp.com and look under dvd recorders. You can search for your unit there and see what other people have to say. I tried but could not find the exact number you quoted, maybe you typed a wrong number in your post.

SF

Collapse -
Yes My Unit Plays DVD'S Made on the unit
by janenolan / April 1, 2006 12:38 AM PST

Yes My Unit Plays DVD'S Made on the vcr/dvd LiteOn Unit. No problem there but all of the movies that I taped from tv and transfered to dvd will not play on the computer. But 2 dvd's that I made which consisted of songs clips from old tv shows do play on the computer. What is going on here????

Windows XP Home
Pentium 4 2.0
512 Memory
120 HD space

Collapse -
Compatability
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 2, 2006 9:31 AM PDT

I have a set-top Sansui VHF/DVD recorder that uses only DVD-R and DVD-RW media.

It records at a speed of 1X.
I use 4X media most of the time.

The DVDs that are made on the Sansui will play on the computer and other brands of DVD set-top players.

However you must ''finalize'' them before they will play on other devices.

Also, you can add a lot of menu featues to the DVD start up page but if you do, it will not play on other devices.

It has a more simple choice where you can only add the title to the start up page. That mode will play on other devices.

You might want to recheck the users manual again to see if you are overlooking some restrictions that prevent the DVD from playing on other devices.

Collapse -
But My Computer will play DVD'S from the store
by janenolan / April 4, 2006 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Compatability

But My computer will play any DVD that I get from the library and the store, but not the movies (from TCM that I videotaped) that I burn and finalize on my DVD/VCR unit. The only DVD'S that I made that will play on the computer are ones that consists of musical munbers from old movies. Why??? Any ideas?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) DRM is the likely answer.
by Kiddpeat / April 5, 2006 3:48 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.