Video Cameras forum

General discussion

help with capture

Im trying to capture from my sony hdr-hc3 using imovie or quicktime pro but none of these softwares recognize the camcorder.Im using firewire for capturing and an intel based imac.

can anyone tell me a solution.

thanx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help with capture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help with capture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is a newer HD camcorder?

In reply to: help with capture

I bet you need something (software) that supports HD.

Bob

Collapse -
The Sony HDR-HC3 is a high-definition camcorder

In reply to: help with capture

Connecting it, using FireWire to your Mac should work - if you are using iMovie, it must be iMovie HD which is the current version. It was bundled with your new Intel Mac.

The camera must be ON in the "Play/Edit" mode.

Do not control anything at the camera other than power it on and put it into "Play/Edit" mode - Use iMovie HD to control the camera. On the lower left side of iMovie, there is a "switch" that shows either a camera or scissors - it should be on the camera side. The screen should be blue and either have an indication that the Camera is connected or not.

Have you changed any settings (iLink on/off) on the camera?

That cable you are using - was it in the box that the camera came in?

Collapse -
re

In reply to: The Sony HDR-HC3 is a high-definition camcorder

I have done all these the problem is that in the options there is only the isight,my camcorder is not appear anywhere.In the package was included only a usb cable,I bought the firewire seperatly.

Collapse -
Then take it to the Genius bar.

In reply to: re

Your reply is a bit muddled. You didn't state you had the needed versions.

Bob

Collapse -
re

In reply to: Then take it to the Genius bar.

what u mean which version,I have the latest version of IMOVIE HD,processor clocked at 2.33GHZ,RAM 3GB AT 667MHZ ,OSX 10.4.8 .Now the problem is that when I open imovie (and having my camera set tp play/edit mode) in the left hand side it appears only record with isight. I havent change anything in the camera setting the VCR HDV/DV MODE is in auto mode and the I.LINK CONV IS ON,even if i change these setting is not working,

Collapse -
Your reply didn't tell that.

As such I wondered what you had. Head to the Genius bar and see if they can make it work.

Bob

Collapse -
OK... so now we don't know what else you changed

but this is a start.

iLINK CONV must be OFF. iMovieHD does the controlling - play, fast forward, rewind... I am looking at my camera (now connected to my G5 flatpanel) as I go through this. I have also successfully connected my camera to my son's iMac CoreDuo.

Anything else you set on the camera should be reset. Perhaps going back to the factory defaults would be best:

1) Power off the computer, Power off the camera.
2) Remove the tape from the camcorder, close the camcorder tape door.
2) Disconnect the power from the camera and remove the battery.
3) Move the power switch to ON and hold it there for 15-20 seconds.
4) Move the power awitch to off.
5) Replace the battery.
6) Reconnect the power if you had it plugged in (recommended for transferring video).
7) Reconnect the FireWire cable to the camera and the Mac.
Cool Power on the Mac. When you are at the desktop of the Operating System,
9) Power up the camera.
10) Launch iMovie HD.

If this did not work it is possible that the FireWire cable is bad.

It is also possible that if you connected the FireWire cable to the computer first, then the camera - when the computer and the camera were already on - that the camera-side connection blew the FireWire chip in the camera. The only way to trouble-shoot this is to connect it to another known, working, computer - with a known, working, FireWire cable.

I use a Sony HDR-HC1 - your camera's older brother...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.