General discussion

help with canon zr850

I am trying to transfer the video I recorded on my canon zr850 onto my computer. I followed the directions from the instruction booklet but when I plug in the usb port into the computer (and the other end to the camera) I can't get it to work.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: help with canon zr850
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: help with canon zr850
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's noted in our forum sticky.

Now connect it with firewire...

- Collapse -
Bob's right... Firewire...

According to page 68
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=174&modelid=14726#DownloadDetailAct
USB is for connecting to a PICTbridge compatible printer or a PC with a USB port - but nothing about USB transferring video... It does mention using the DV port to connect to a computer...

Then on page 69, there is discussion about transferring video via the DV port... the only video you can transfer using USB is that which was stored on the memory card - not the miniDV tape. Stills are normally stored on the memory card.

No, there is no firewire cable in the box. You will need to buy that separately. Adding Firewire400 to your computer is typically inexpensive and easy... unless you have an Apple Macintosh which have included Firewire for many years.

- Collapse -
I can't transfer video either...

I'm running on a MacBook with OSX and iMovie 6. I've tried connecting via firewire and get nothing. I've manually opened my iMovie and tried to have it locate the camera and nothing. I have searched forums for answers and both the Apple and Canon websites for updates and still nothing. I am running off of the power cord as suggested in the manual. Does anyone have any idea why I can't get a transfer? I'm out of ideas and at my wit's end. Thanks!

- Collapse -
Reports are...

That unit does work with Mac. However one post found a bum cable.

- Collapse -
Thanks!

I'll try taking it back for a new one. Hopefully that works! I'm still open for other suggestions in case this does not work.

- Collapse -
Normally try one step at a time...

but the camcorder needs to be in the "Playback" position (not Record) when transferring miniDV using Firewire.

1) Mac is on; camcorder is off.
2) Connect camcorder to AC power; connect firewire (not USB) cable to camcorder DV port and computer Firewire400 port (not USB).
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=174&modelid=14726#DownloadDetailAct
See page 68 for location of DV port (but it sounds like you already found it - just to make sure, there is no Firewire cable in the camcorder box - that is purchased separately... no, I don't know why they do this)
3) Power-up camcorder; place in "Playback" mode. (Page 32 for "Play" mode instructions)
4) Launch iMovie. Blue window indicating "Camcorder connected" appears.
5) Rewind tape from camcorder or iMovie (if the tape is not already rewound).
6) Click on "Import" in iMovie...

- Collapse -
Thanks boya84

Thanks for the advise, but no luck. I have been doing that step by step with one exception. I had the camera on (in "Play" mode) before hooking it up. So, I gave that a try and still nothing. *major frustration!

- Collapse -
Just out of curiosity...

4 questions...

1) Did the firewire cable come in the box with the camcorder or did you get it separately? (And were you able to replace it?)

2) Is firewire ON? In System Preferences, click Network, select Network Port Configurations... Is there a check-mark next to Firewire?

2) Is there another computer around to try this with? Friends or neighbors?

3) Do you have any other firewire devices - like an external hard drive - available?

- Collapse -
Re: Just out of curiosity...

No, I bought the firewire since none came with the camcorder. I did check the number with what is listed in the manual - a 4/6 pin IEEE 1394 cable. I am running on a MacBook and have not found anywhere to turn on the port. I have used a friends camcorder via firewire and it connected as soon as I plugged it in, so I do not think that is the problem. I am going to take it to my sister's work so her boss can look at it. He is a Mac guru, so hopefully he can figure it out. I'm getting really stressed out over this one!

- Collapse -
Additional

I just wen in and checked and there was not a check mark next to it. I'm not sure how to set it up, so hopefully the boss will know that one. Thanks for possibly narrowing it down for me!!!

- Collapse -
Making Firewire active on your Mac...

Sounds like you found where to do that... but just in case...

Systems Preferences
Click "Network"
Enter password if required to make a change (is the lock on the lower left locked or open?)
Up at the top, next to the "Show" drop-down, select "Network Port Configurations"
Checkmark "built-in Firewire", then "Apply Now"...

- Collapse -
The problem might have been solved...

Well, it looks like it is a faulty wire. The boss-man said it fits way too loose in the camera port. He also tried to hook both my camera and my sister's to his Mac and got nothing. So we are banking on the wore and not 2 faulty cameras. It just stinks that the store I bought it at was closed yesterday and I have to wait one more day... I want to thank you all again and I'll let you know!

- Collapse -
YAY!!!

It was the firewire. I got a new one, connected it, opened iMovie, and viola! There was a blue screen with an import button! I am totally happy and just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I really do appreciate it. Also, if any of you know anything about Sony Locationfree, I have a question posted on that as well!

- Collapse -
Canon zr850 cassette to windows movie maker....?

I have a DV cable, and it IS connecting to the computer and everything, but when I try to play or open the dv cassette with wondows movie maker, maker only finds the camera and not the tape......?

- Collapse -
Did the "DV cable" you are using

come in the box or did you have to buy it separately?

- Collapse -
help

Please someone help me with my question above, I can't figure it out

- Collapse -
I asked you a question...

and have not seen a reply...

Did the "DV cable" you are using come in the box or did you buy it separately?

And more...

What kind of computer is it? Make and model, please - So we can check the specs and firewire port availability.

What operating system are you on? Windows XP? Is Service Pack 2 installed? Vista? Which one?

Is the camcorder in "Play" mode?

There will probably be more - but this is a start...

- Collapse -
the answers

It is a HP Pavilion 735n computer with windows XP standard. It DOES have a port for 1394 DV cable. I bought the cable seperatly, but it does work because when I go to "my computer" and click on the camcorder, and then press "play" on the camcorder itself the video shows up on the computer screen. On windows movie maker, it finds the camcorder when trying to open a new file, but its empty once I click on it. And yes, the camcorder is set to "play" and powered "on" the whole time.......

- Collapse -
Cool thanks...

just checking - remember, we can't see what you see.

OK folks - anybody out there to assist?

I do all my editing on Apple Macintoshes...

- Collapse -
Have you tried WinDV?

Some solve their problems with that program. Once you get the video to your computer, you can work with it in WMM.

As for WMM: Seems like a WMM hiccup in the import process. I had some troubles as well with WMM in XP, not with DV import though.

- Collapse -
About DV cable

In the manual it says that cable is only for transferring still pic. Unfortunately you have to use a firewire to transfer video, and Canon does not include that.

- Collapse -
Sorry, I misread...

Forget about the cable post, I misread. It has been a long day... Are you running the camcorder off of the battery or the AC adaptor when trying to transfer? I am also running off of a Mac and iMovie, so I'm not familiar with your program. The only thin gI can think of is there is not enough power to do the transfer if you are running off of the battery. Best of lluck. I know how frustrating it can be!

- Collapse -
Windv

Well I used windv and the movie showed up on there, and I captured it, but I do not know what to do from there, once it was captured I tried to open it through windows movie maker, but I could not find it anywhere....I couldnt find it anywhere on the computer except the windv screen itself...

- Collapse -
Windows 101.

Use search for files created in the last day or week.

- Collapse -
nope

I guess it didnt save or something, i can't find the damn thing, i just dowloaded windows media encoder, so hopefully I will have more luck with that

- Collapse -
So... you said when you PLAY

the video, you can see it... did you "capture" it and save it?... Or did you "Import into collections"?

- Collapse -
Record DV tape in the PC

You can transfer the DV tape to your memory card by: 1) PLAY the DV 2) Press RECORD and it'll automatically be recorded on the memory card (a bit hard to figure out, but when you PLAY a DV, you cannot RECORD on the DV tape... but if you press RECORD while playing it, it'll be recorded on the Memory. 3) You eject the memory card and put it in your PC. 4) It'll appear on your PC (documents usually) and clik on it. The videos'll show and choose the one you want. Pierre

CNET Forums

Forum Info