HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Help with buzzing from speakers

by joeymcjoeysalot / December 3, 2013 10:44 AM PST

I have a older yamaha receiver (early 2000s), and I keep getting a highish pitched buzz from the speakers. I have disconnected all of the speakers, and I still get the buzz. I have tried disconnecting them one by one and have the buzz no matter which one is plugged in alone. It doesn't have a ground so I put a 3-2 prong adapter ground on it. No change. Tried the same 3 to 2 prong adapter ground on the television and no change. I plugged only the receiver into the outlet with the speakers and still got the buzz with no inputs connected. I believe I've narrowed it down to the receiver, but is there anything else I can do to try and fix/troubleshoot it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with buzzing from speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with buzzing from speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Clarification.
by joeymcjoeysalot / December 3, 2013 10:47 AM PST

When I said I "I have disconnected all of the speakers, and I still get the buzz" I meant I have disconnected all of the inputs and still get the buzz.

Collapse -
have you moved it recently
by itsdigger / December 3, 2013 10:55 AM PST
In reply to: Clarification.

sounds like a bad ground . Did this just start out of the blue?....Digger

Collapse -
Receiver new to me and the apartment.
by joeymcjoeysalot / December 3, 2013 8:05 PM PST

I actually had an old receiver from the 80s that crapped out on me. I recently moved and when I did I got this receiver. I've had the same issue since I've moved in and been using the "new" receiver. So, unfortunately there are a couple of variables at work.

Collapse -
Ahh
by itsdigger / December 3, 2013 8:13 PM PST

Hey, look on the back of that reciever and see if there's a Ground lug , run a wire from there to ground (the center screw that holds the cover plate on a wall receptacle or a water pipe) see if that buzzing stops....Digger

Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestion
by joeymcjoeysalot / December 13, 2013 9:25 PM PST
In reply to: Ahh

There is a ground lug and I ran a speaker wire between it and the ground on my wall socket, screwed them in pretty snuggly. Unfortunately, I am still getting the buzz.

Collapse -
still sounds like a bad ground
by itsdigger / December 15, 2013 1:42 AM PST

you might have to look deeper inside the box to find it though. Are you sure you have the speakers running in phase ? ....Digger

Collapse -
I believe so...
by joeymcjoeysalot / December 15, 2013 8:28 PM PST

I read what in phase was (I had no idea), and I am currently only running my center, and two floorstanding front channels at the moment. I agree that it sounds like a ground issue, I am just at a loss to resolve it at this point.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.