Question

Help with Blue Screens

by mrprophet / October 10, 2013 3:50 AM PDT

My computer is an Alienware M17X R3. My hardware is as follows:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M GPU
Intel i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20Ghz; quad-core
700Gb Hard Drive
8Gb RAM.

I've been getting BSODs throughout the lifespan of this computer at random intervals, over multiple windows installations. I've already ran diagnostics on both my hard drive and my RAM and I cannot seem to figure out what is causing the problem. The crash reports seem to point to a driver malfunction but I do not have the technical expertise to pin anything down. Here are my crash reports from 'WhoCrashed:'

On Tue 10/8/2013 9:01:57 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100813-25724-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75B80)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA800674BA10, 0xFFFFF8000401A3D8, 0xFFFFFA8005B50300)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Above is the most common error. Below is less common.

On Tue 10/8/2013 9:01:57 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFA800674BA10, 0xFFFFF8000401A3D8, 0xFFFFFA8005B50300)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

I'm thinking that it could possibly be a hardware malfunction on the part of my GPU, but I really have no idea. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with Blue Screens
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with Blue Screens
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Software
by mrprophet / October 10, 2013 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Help with Blue Screens

Excuse me, I'm also running Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium edition. Please let me know if any more information is required.

Collapse -
Answer
Small world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2013 3:54 AM PDT

My son has an all too similar other make model.

To fix this we did a few things. I'm not going to enter into any debate but shared what it took.

1. Canned air every other month on the vents.
2. Reduce the CPU core count from 8 to 6. Here's how.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/66504-processors-limit-number-used-windows-7-a.html
3. If the machine sees a lot of travel you may have to open it up to replace heat sink compound and make sure the heat sinks are in their proper places as well as a deep cleaning. Check for fails fans too.

In laptops where the owner will not do the work I've taken the CPU core count as low as 2.
Bob

Collapse -
Travel
by mrprophet / October 16, 2013 12:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Small world.

Yes, the machine does see a fair amount of travel in my backpack while driving in the car. I could definitely check the heat-sinks and the fan. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Collapse -
Answer
Both of these indicate driver problems
by wpgwpg / October 10, 2013 3:56 AM PDT

Are you using the drivers that came with the PC? If not, where did you get them from? Both these errors point to driver problems. If you've downloaded drivers from anywhere except the computer manufacturer, that could be the cause of your problem.

Collapse -
Yes
by mrprophet / October 16, 2013 12:14 PM PDT

I've used both alienware/dell manufacturer drivers and also downloaded NVidia drivers from their website across multiple installs of windows. The problem has persisted through all of this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.