Mac OS forum

General discussion

Help with an HP 1012

by Robert Fallows / January 20, 2006 11:22 AM PST

I bought my first mac... in an all PC house... The IBOOK G4 I got pretty much integrated itself right in except for one thing. It doesn't talk to the PC that has control of the printers. So I bought an Airlink wired print server that supports PC, appletalk, and my HP Laserjet 1012. The PC and the Mac all see it on the network and the PC's access it fine.

When I tried to add a printer on the mac, it sees the server through appletalk but comes up as "_nbp_send_failed got=-1" when I try to connect to it. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? FYI. The wireless router that the print server connects to is a DLink 802.11G.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with an HP 1012
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with an HP 1012
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Printers
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 20, 2006 10:08 PM PST
In reply to: Help with an HP 1012

I have never had much success printing to a printer that is being shared from a PC but in this case you appear to have the printer standing alone on the TC/IP network. If this is not the case, and the printer is connected to the PC via a USB, let us know.
So, assuming that it is stand alone and connected only to the print sever.
Apple Talk is going the way of the DoDo and is NOT turned on, by default, in the later versions of OS X. Check that you have Appletalk turned on.
Also make sure that you have the correct drivers installed in the Mac for this printer. The HP site shows that there is an update for OS X (10.4), make sure you have downloaded that and installed it.
This error has been reported in various places as being associated with AppleTalk.
Try the above and get back with us.

P

Collapse -
Printers....
by Robert Fallows / January 23, 2006 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: Printers

I have turned the AppleTalk on, have gotten the latest drivers from HP, and still nothing. It is a stand alone printer, but I am curious as your reference towards Apple Talk going the way of the DoDo. The reason being is that ever since I put the printer as a stand alone and not on the PC, it has dramatically slowed the transmission rates from the PCs to the Printer. Is there any other way to get a mac to talk to a printer through a PC or should I just keep it a stand alone?

Also an FYI, I plugged the printer into the mac directly and no problems, it prints great! When I went back to trying AppleTalk and Bonjour, nothing, Bonjour just wants to make it a generic post script printer and apple talk throws out the same message from the first post.

Collapse -
How
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 23, 2006 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: Printers....

is the PC, Mac and Printer connected right now?

I have not had much success with printing with the printer attached, and shared, to the PC but it is certainly worth a try.
You could also try it the other way around.
What version of Bonjour are you using? I believe a new version for the PC has been released.
Check it out
I use an HP 4000 laser printer, via ethernet, for all my Macs and one PC and have no problem with printing via TCP/IP
AppleTalk is/has been replaced by TCP/IP which is a cross platform standard. AppleTalk was purely a Mac thing and worked great for just Macs.

P

Collapse -
Ditching AppleTalk
by Robert Fallows / January 25, 2006 2:10 PM PST
In reply to: How

Alright, I give up on AppleTalk, lets try TCP/IP... which is how I have the PC's connected to the 1012. When I go to add a printer in the mac, I clicked on the IP printer tab instead of default browser. When I enter the correct address for the address tab under IPP, LPD, or HP Jet Direct Socket, IT DOESN'T SEE IT???????? It keeps coming up as a valid and complete address, but the tab at the bottom keeps coming up as PRINT USING GENERIC POST SCRIPT PRINTER. This happens despite having installed the software for the HP 1012 on the Mac.

I have got to be making this more complicated than it is!?!?!

Collapse -
More Nonsense
by Robert Fallows / January 25, 2006 2:29 PM PST
In reply to: Ditching AppleTalk

I went to the add more printers tab, The only type of IP listed is something called HP IP Printing, even there it doesn't recognize the thing???

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?