Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help with a Windows 98 SE .dll file

I was recently cleaning out my computer to free up space. I accidentally deleted a vital .dll needed for the computer startup. This file was called MSVCRT.dll and I cannot access the main screen of the computer. When startup is about to finish, it says to reinstall Windows 98 SE and then the screen freezes. Because of this, I cannot access "my computer" to reinstall this .dll that I need. I have tried a using different cd-rom drive and I have even tried to use dos mode to manually reinstall the .dll. I have a second computer so I have downloaded the .dll into both a floppy disk and a cd but as soon as I entered dos mode, the A drive(floppy), the E drive(cd-rom), and even the D drive(cd reader/burner) all go offline.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help with a Windows 98 SE .dll file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help with a Windows 98 SE .dll file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Help with a Windows 98 SE .dll file

In reply to: Help with a Windows 98 SE .dll file

Someperson,

MS-DOS is the primary way to go here. If you boot into MS-DOS the cd-rom is inaccessible indeed, but the a:-drive should be active. It's very strange it isn't.

The other way around then. Get your EBD (Emergency Boot Diskette), or make one with a program you can download from www.bootdisk.com. Then go into the BIOS and set the machine to boot from a: first. Then boot and choose CD-support. Note the driver-letter the cd gets. It won't be d:, and can be anything from e: to z:.

Then put the cd in, and use MS-DOS copy command like in
>copy r:\msvcrt.dll c:\windows\system
if r: is the drive letter for the cd-rom and you burned the file into the root folder.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
msvcrt.dll

In reply to: Help with a Windows 98 SE .dll file

This is a particularly touchy file because it is in use at all times and w98 won't let you mess with it. I doubt you copied it to a floppy, check the properties (0 bytes?). I suppose you could use another w98 pc and run SFC to extract the file to a floppy, then slave the bad Hdd and insert it?
Reinstall/overinstall of W98 usually doesn't help much except in the case of missing files.
I've done it s few times and it didn't hurt anything. All new programs-info-data-etc were left alone but you must know your 5x5 product key and to specify the old C:/windows for the directory. It may try to install in a new directory C:/windows001.
This is also a file that won't copy over when you try to copy a Hdd, unless you slave the Hdd. As master Hdd, like on the 2nd IDE channel, it is seen as an active device and the file is protected. You may also find many copies of this file in other programs-areas because it is part of their program, but not if it is in c:/windows/system as they all will use it from there and the other copies disappear.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.