Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

HELP! Windows Explorer Error.

A co-worker of mine brought his HP notebook in to me to have a look at it. He said that when he tried to un-install AOL from his computer, that it shut off on him. When he tried to re-boot, he used a recovery point from a month ago because that's when his computer was running normally. Once he did the recovery, a window popped up stating that there was an error with Windows Explorer and that it would need to shut off. He is a 65-year old man and he only uses the computer for our work. His laptop is extremely important to the work he does.

I inserted the setup disk into the drive and prompted to load the CD. It ran through the entire Windows XP Setup Disk and still wont work. We keep getting the same error message and I don't know what else I should try. He wants to get in there to be able to backup his information on some flash drives.

Please advise as to what to do next. Thank you so much in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Windows Explorer Error.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Windows Explorer Error.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell a little more.

In reply to: HELP! Windows Explorer Error.

Make, MODEL of said laptop and if the YEARLY cleaning is happening.

Example at http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3121_7-6679060-1.html then click on the clean up your laptop link.

Why? The shutdown you noted is typical when the vents and such have never been cleaned.
Bob

Collapse -
What next to do.

In reply to: HELP! Windows Explorer Error.

I've never seen a boot asking for a recovery point. So that's a strange part of the story. So is the missing month (did the PC already work abnormally one month before he tried to uninstall AOL?). And why did he uninstall AOL - somehow related to his problems? And why has he AOL on a work computer?

Now for the problem:
- is there any more detail in the error message than you post here?
- I assume "ran through the Windows XP disk" means you did a repair install. Sometimes that helps, sometimes it doesn't (especially with virus damage or hardware issues).
- where's his backup for his "extremely important" data (your words, but I hesitate to believe, if nobody ever told him to back them up)?

Things you can do:
- A clean install while saving the data. That should be one of the options in the setup (leave current file system intact (no changes).
- Get the disk out, put it in an external enclosure and back up the files (better late than never)
- Install XP on a new hard disk. Later extract the files from the current hard disk via an external enclosure.

Kees

Collapse -
More information.

In reply to: What next to do.

I mean, he's 65. The first thing I asked him was if he already had a backup for his data. He said "No" because I guess he always assumed his computer wouldn't have any problems. When I start windows, I can get into Safe Mode, but beyond that everything is disabled in a way that I haven't seen before. Every program that I right-click doesn't even have an OPEN option. I assume there is a virus or something on his computer but I haven't been able to actually get in there to fix the problem. I was going to run through safe mode but like I said, no program will open. When I said re-boot, I didn't mean it in that way. I meant that when he re-started his computer. (Sorry, my words are lacking this morning.) Our company was using AOL for all of our email before we made it big and moved on to better things. He tried to completely get rid of it and then his computer messed up. He says that it had no problems prior to the uninstall but I don't really know if that's true. Maybe he just never noticed any problems. He says that now his computer runs really slow and he doesn't really have that many programs on it.

The error says this:

"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

"The following files will be included in this error report:

C:\DOCUME~1\Jerry\Locals~1\Temp\f540_appcompat.txt"

--The error report may not be important, but I looked at that to see if it could give me more information.

Collapse -
The error is not useful.

In reply to: More information.

If you research it you find far too many causes. I'd focus on saving the files, cleaning the laptop per the video and maybe starting over.

Tell what antispyware scans you are using.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.