The recurring themes are:
1. Heat. Remove case cover and try again.
2. Memory failure. Try with one stick. Run memory tests from http://www.memtest86.com
3. BIOS is not the latest. New to PC builders don't understand why a new board wouldn't have the latest BIOS. I can't explain it, but unless the BIOS is latest, you may crash and burn.
4. BIOS SAFE DEFAULTS until it's up.
5. POWER. I still see small power supplies driving big rigs. Easy to test. Just downsize the machine to one hard disk, one stick o'ram, one CD drive, one video card and try again with the case cover off.
6. The WORMS. A new install of today's Windows will catch a worm infection as soon as you go to install the patches. Drives people insane.
I am running an AMD 2600+ on EPOX 3RDA+ NForce2 board. Every time during installation finalising stage of windows XP professional the computer will shut down automatically during the Finalizing Installation stage. And it won't be able to power on unless I take out the processor and put it back again. I suspect it is either MB problem or processor problem.(tried installing server 2003 and same problem occurs) Anyone have experienced this problem before can confirm which one is to blame? Thanks!