Question

Help WIn 7 virus trouble on my PC ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! !

My sons were downloading various junk from the net the other day. I went in as usual to clean up and delete things. I accidentily double clicked on some exe I was trying to delete. The comp IMMEDIATELY shut down !

Now when I start it up it shows a black screen with a white line saying loading files or windows. Then it does the regular little windows 7 green line bar for only a second. The screen goes to a blue screen with a lighter blue effect at the top [ not a blue screen of death or anything ] more like a design. If I had to guess I'd say it was at a a very low resolution. Then a command prompt window flashes for a second or less and the windows repair thing starts to no avail. Safe mode does nothing, restore point does nothing. Says it can't do the restore point and it can find nothing wrong with the tests it runs. A HP recovery center thing pops up as offers the same options as windows except for the option to backup files. I attempted to do this several times but no matter what type of files I tell it to backup it always stops at 91% and shuts off the computer.

It is a Compaq CQ5210F with windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I can't find the the restore dvd thing. I did get a recovery cd off the internet I got to the cd's menu thing . This time it says the restore point worked but when rebooted , it didn't. Now when I pressed the load drivers button thing and browsed for the heck of it , it shows all the files seem to be there so thankfully this virus thing hasn't deleted anything as far as I could tell. I have pictures and videos of my children that can NEVER be replaced and as I understand it win 7 can't be reinstalled without deleting the files on your comp ?

Can anyone help me ??? Would this thing work I was reading about ?

In command prompt
cd \windows\system32\config\regback
xcopy c:\windows\system32\config\regback c:\windows\system32\config

Please, please help me !

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help WIn 7 virus trouble on my PC ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! !
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help WIn 7 virus trouble on my PC ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! !
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Opinion time

I have pictures and videos of my children that can NEVER be replaced.

DON'T play with that.

Remove the HD and safely store it.
Fit a new a HD into the unit.
Go to HP and purchase the proper recovery media.
Load Windows.
Fit the orig HD into an external case.
Keep your fingers crossed and try to extract YOUR STUFF.

In the future.........backup/backup/backup.

- Collapse -
Answer
Hp Compaq recovery

Assume you tried accessing recovery partition, on HP/Compaq usually F10 on bootup.

- Collapse -
But....

But won't recovery partition delete my pictures ans other information ????

- Collapse -
Yes.

That's why most will suggest you back these up to a few places (more than one copy) before you do this.

Remember that most off the shelf retail PCs do not have the repair options of the full retail Windows.
Bob

CNET Forums