HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

Help, will DCR-HC28 MiniDV powerbook G4. Mac OS X 10.3.9?

by Touralu / July 17, 2008 7:49 AM PDT

This may not be proper, but may dart in with a question? You all seem
quite bright and I like your attention to detail going from foolish
ideas to more complex. I am in the process of trading my loving kayak
for a new in the box DCR-HC28 MiniDV Handycam(R) Camcorder. It's my
understanding they cannot be purchased anymore. I haven't done the
trade yet. I have an older powerbook, newly programmed. I'm a simple
traveler it goes everywhere I do. I had a full crash 3 months ago.

So... This is me: I have a powerbook G4. Mac OS X 10.3.9.

Hardware Overview:

Machine Model: PowerBook G4 12"
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 256 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.3f1

I Only recently started using imovie with a simple web cam for
journalistic, no need for high tech, stuff. It's a little awkward
filming with an entire powerbook in my hands. So I want to get this
miniDV. I have no money, like $0. I'm not even sure I have a USB
cable, but that's easy, and I don't even know about firewire is. What
is fire wire? Although I'm not skilled in the lingo, I'm very capable
and usually never have a problem doing anythiong new on Macs or PC.
Am I gonna have problem or going to need to spend a lot of money?

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help, will DCR-HC28 MiniDV powerbook G4. Mac OS X 10.3.9?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help, will DCR-HC28 MiniDV powerbook G4. Mac OS X 10.3.9?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No worries... you have a nice combination
by boya84 / July 17, 2008 2:18 PM PDT

with that Mac and that camcorder. You will need a 4-pin to 6-pin firewire cable to transfer video from the camcorder's DV port to the Mac's Firewire port. Since it is a standard definition DV camcorder, iMovie will be happy and import the video in real time. Perhaps the person with the camcorder will throw in the firewire cable. They had to be purchased separately - as they are not included in the box.

If the HC28 uses a memory stick duo, then you will use the USB cable to connect the USB port on the camcorder to the USB port on the MAC for transferring stills. Video will not go over USB. iMovie will not recognize the USB port. The USB cable is included in the box.

NEVER plug the USB cable and the firewire cable into the Mac and the camcorder at the same time.

Here is the link for the camcorder's manual:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=DCRHC28

Make sure the camcorder is working before you make the trade.

Make you get as many of the accessories that came in the box as possible - read the manual you just downloaded - the "in the box" list in withn the first 10 pages or so.

Collapse -
and another thing... OK... 2 things...
by boya84 / July 17, 2008 2:29 PM PDT

That RAM is REALLY light. You REALLY need to increase that.

Crunching video is memory and CPU intensive. And uses lots of hard drive space (standard definition DV is ~13-14 gig per hour of imported video).

Collapse -
Thank you boya84
by Touralu / July 19, 2008 5:26 AM PDT

I will attempt to do as you suggested. Oddly now, the guy I'm buying or swapping the camcorder from is not going to be as easily available to do the swap. He lives rather far from me, and I wanted to test the camera with my mac first; although he got it as a gift a year or so ago and it's still original box. So, the entire thing may not go thru or maybe not as soon as I thought. Would you recommend a different camcorder or different system asside from DCR-HC28? Since I haven't made the trade yet, maybe there's something else? I do not do fancy professional looking stuff. That's not my concern. Maybe I just need something simpler?

I sure appreciate your help AND your explaining about the firewire and your warning of not plugging both firewire and usb at the same time.

Sincerely, T

Collapse -
If you stay with miniDV tape,
by boya84 / July 19, 2008 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you boya84

you *could* invest in a firewire cable
http://shop2.frys.com/product/4338425;jsessionid=kA9+hptXfpgSXmdcdzC01g**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
since the cable will be used with whichever miniDV tape based camcorder you get... so no wasted investment.

ALL consumer camcorders are "point and shoot". The differences are in the lenses, imaging chip size and other features. The HC28 is essentially an entry level camcorder, so will be about as simple as it gets. Anything less than this drops into the "toy" category. Contrast that to what the "fancy professional" equipment is:
Sony HVR-V1U or Canon XHA1... and these are at the low end of the pro realm.

Since your original post indicated the kayak trade for the camcorder, were you expecting to ship the camcorder or deliver it? If deliver it, then take your Mac laptop with you and test the camcorder when you get there... Worst case is it is a bad deal - so keep your kayak. Best case is you record 30 seconds of seconds on the camcorder, connect the camcorder with your firewire cable to your Mac, have the camcorder also plugged into AC power, put the camcorder in VCR or Play mode, Launch iMovie and Import... and it works... you leave the kayak and leave with a camcorder.

If you are shipping the kayak - well, I can't help you there.

Collapse -
Hmm. Thanks again.
by Touralu / July 19, 2008 12:52 PM PDT

Thanks. I will be sure to have the firewire and ac power when testing the camcoder. We may even to do the trade at a coffee house between our two locations. This guy did mention zeiss lenses and such that will be including in our trade. Coincidently I worked for many years in as a camera assistant in the NY commercial film business, but quit for a simpler lfe in 1994,just prior to the digital explosion. Most of my mates still in the business are continuing using "film." My expertise was in the special effects of late 80s and early 90s. And I did briefly dabble in digital but mostly iin the editing world. I'm really looking forward to getting back into filming but with compact and portable digital. Sincerly, T

Collapse -
That is awesome...
by boya84 / July 19, 2008 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmm. Thanks again.

I cannot figure out how to "right size". I envy your ability to control lifestyle.

Don't get too bothered by the "Carl Zeiss" lenses - yes they are good, but they are the lenses used in ALL Sony consumer camcorders... I presume the person with whom you are trading is not including optional lenses (I don't think the HC28 has threads for anything additional - and even so, the optionals from Sony are not labeled "Carl Zeiss" - only those which are built-in).

Yes, the REAL folks still use film - I've been on sets recently where Arri cams were used...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.