Samsung forum

General discussion

Help. Which is Better Samsung LN46A950 or Samsung LN52A650?

by volcom52002 / October 12, 2008 12:42 PM PDT

Im planning on buying a new tv for my bedroom and I keep researching like i read on Consumer reports that the LN52A650 is recommended but on Cnet, the LN46a950 got a better review, but im also interested in the Ln46A650, so i dont know what to get. Are the LEDs really that helpful for that cost? But i think one of the most important questions is how does regular tv look on them because i watch a lot tv and i Have a PS3 and a Xbox 360 and i use a 65 inch mitsubishi crt with 1080i in my living room and it looks great? How would u rank all three? Sorry for all the questions but thanks for all the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help. Which is Better Samsung LN46A950 or Samsung LN52A650?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help. Which is Better Samsung LN46A950 or Samsung LN52A650?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks for the inquiry. Here are some answers!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 12, 2008 6:04 PM PDT

First of all, there is one major difference between the A650 and the A950. Naturally, there are smaller features that we can discuss later, but the big difference is that the LNxxA650 series uses CCFLs (cold cathode floruescent lamps), which is pretty standard for LCD panels. The LNxxA950 units use LED-lit backlighting for LCDs. This is an improvement over the CCFL's in a couple of ways.

The biggest advantage is that you can have local dimming. I could use any number of examples, but unlike CCFL panels, the backlighting can dim, or even turn off on all, or parts of the screen, as necessary. Unlike CCFL's, where the light always stays on, there is more picture flexibility with the 9-Series. This creates an amazing increase of grayscale and color possibilities as well as allowing your darker scenes to be more realistic.

As far as how regular television looks, I need to clarify "regular". If you mean Standard Definition, then no, it will be subject to the same standard-to-high-def-panel picture quality just like every other panel would be. If you mean "regular" as in High Definition transmitted television signals, then it will be impressive.

Since you seem to be pretty big on games (based on the fact that you have two game stations), the Game Mode feature will reduce lag time and delay as well as optimize the audio and video.

I'm not sure how I would rank all three, per se, but I can list out the differences if you'd like.

Hope to help!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks for the Help
by volcom52002 / October 14, 2008 5:14 AM PDT

Sorry, yes I meant standard definition. Like my friend has an old samsung and it gets kinda blurry in fast motion. I also have heard that people get a kinda of halo effect with the 950, so I guess the question is should i go big with the LN 52a650 or go smaller with the LN46A950, like which would give me the better image and motion quality. I would use the tv for HD game consoles, standard tv, and Hd Movies, dont really have HD Cable yet. Thanks for all the help

Collapse -
Okay, here are some suggestions.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 14, 2008 6:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the Help

Well, there are a couple of issues here that I can help with.

You noted in your original post that the C|Net review gave one unit "higher marks". There are a lot of factors outside of picture quality that go into a review, including price point. The LNxxA950, being a top-level product will be judged differently than the LNxxA650 unit. This is a good thing, because often times, reviews reflect value on many different levels, and provides a clear snapshot of what you'll be getting.

Your friend's "older Samsung" may or may not reflect the improvements on newer units since then, depending. Technology is always improving. On our newer models, we have included Auto Motion Plus, which is a technology that allows you to toggle the processing of fast motion, which may eliminate most of the maladies associated with fast motion.

As far as the halo effect, it is more often a complaint by enthusiasts who scrutinize the picture. Most consumers aren't affected by it. I'm not attempting to minimize a "flaw", as halo can be inherent with LCD as a technology, regardless of whose name is on the unit. I think you'll find Samsung's units to be competitive in this area as well.

Size isn't going to really make a difference with the motion and quality. A better approach I'd like to offer for your consideration would be to match the size of the television with your application. "Bigger is better" isn't necessarily so in the television world. A good rule of thumb is to be sitting at no less than 3x the screen size.

So for a 46" inch, you'd want to sit about 11 1/2 feet back.
And for a 52" inch, you'd want to sit about 13 feet back.

The reason behind this suggestion is that you want to sit back far enough where your eyes can encompass the entire picture in a relaxed mood. If your panel is too big, and you're too close, your eyes will be constantly darting back and forth, which causes eye fatigue.

Your application being gaming, this might make a difference if you don't have wireless controllers, and a logical suggestion would be to go with the smaller panel for that reason. That said, I've seen people purchase a 61" television that they sit 7 feet from, and they're happy with it. It's just a suggestion.

As far as processing standard definition signals, the units will likely be very close - which is still limited, just like everybody else. There might be a benefit to the local dimming on the A950 for some first person games like Halo2 (no pun intended) or Medal of Honor where the scenes go dark as you duck behind corners. Probably not so much with games like Guitar Hero or Burnout. Both units do have the Game Mode to reduce lag, which is important to any gamer. As far as movies go, the LNxxA950 is going to have an incredible picture, particularly with dim and dark scenes due to the LED local dimming feature. However, the LNxxA650 units have received very positive reviews from gaming publications as well and many people have found that those units fill the need more than adequately. I hesitate on recommending a specific unit, because that should ultimately be your decision.

I hope I've given you some information that will allow you to make the best decision. Let me know if there's anything else I can answer. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks for the Help Again
by volcom52002 / October 14, 2008 6:28 AM PDT

I think thats pretty much all i need to know. I think im going with the LN46A950. Cnet rated as one of the best LCDs and though Consumer reports hasnt rated it, it has rated other samsungs and they are the highest rated. If i go with the Ln52A650, its because i want it when i move out. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?