Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help! What do I do about a dead laptop screen?

by Claner / September 6, 2010 2:12 AM PDT

I have another thread going about Dell help, but in he mean time the screen has died on my Dell Vostro 1520 laptop (3rd time in a year, PC works fine, but I need to connect an external monitor to use it ). Eventually Dell will sort that out, but I am a consultant and need to travel frequently.

This week (week of Sept 6th, 2010) I need to decide what to do about my PC as I must travel next week (the 13th) and I absolutely need a working laptop to run workshops. I'd like to hear about options that I have and get critique on the options I'm considering:

Option 1: Buy a MacBook (I've been 100% PC to-date, this would be step one of migrating my entire family to Apple)

Option 2: Buy an I-Pad {I would use it for the next week or so as basically an external hard-drive to my PC and then use it to run presentations, I am worried about the compatibility of using Powerpoint 2007 in the I-Pad, the Apple folks in the store showed me an on-line conversion Ap, but they didn't really know anything about it). I live in an "ATT-Poor" area, so I would not get the 3G; after my immediate need is solved how much would I used the I-Pad as a WiFi device only (I'm not a big music and video guy)?

Option 3: Buy a small external monitor (TV) to connect with the laptop. Definitely not cool, but I could lug it along with me and make it work. The only small TV I have found with a VGA connection is the Coby TFTV1022

Option 4: Buy a netbook, load it up with MS software and replicate my laptop. Seems like a lot of work for one week (assuming my laptop is sorted out by the following week).

Help! Better ideas, different ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! What do I do about a dead laptop screen?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! What do I do about a dead laptop screen?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I know this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2010 2:52 AM PDT

It's why I have a laptop and a backup laptop. It's a bit of a pain to keep them in sync but since I backup to many places I think I can move on when one fails or needs a trip to mother.

Many consultants are trying to ride what I call the UNICYCLE approach to computing. Without a backup system they risk their livelihood. Yes, that's their choice but I can't risk it. Part of why I keep my clients is that it has been decades of no loss of any file that I keep for their projects. It would be embarrassing and could lead to a loss of confidence if a laptop failure resulted in a project delay.

Given what's at risk and how much we can make as consultants why not a new laptop, move to that and then send in the old one for repair? Then when its back we are now in the position we preach to our clients.

-> Did you have a backup?

Bob

Collapse -
Yes
by Claner / September 6, 2010 1:30 PM PDT
In reply to: I know this one.

Of course I have the data backed-up (nss). It's the screen that's dead.

I back-up on a hard drive and use a desktop for somethings. Is there a piece of software that can manage simultaneous files on 2 (or 3) PC/s?

Collapse -
Titles I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2010 12:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

You can research each but in short they are SYNCBACK, Clonezilla.

If the screen is dead we get that fixed.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.