Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

help!what do i do

i'm running windows xp home edition on my computer,i have a bt broadband connection that came free with norton anti virus software.all day i have been getting symantec messages saying that my emails cant be sent(dont know which ones coz i havent sent any)but it says there was something like 540 of them.anyway scanned my computer,said i had to install symantec live update,did so then all of a sudden all these worm and trojan warnings were coming up and now my computer has stopped working at all,gets to the windows screen but then cant do anything,also been having buffer overrun messages for a day or so,tried reinstalling my windows xp but that hasnt resolved anything..the email messages just kept covering the screen.i dont know how to reformat,what would i have to back up and how?now that i cant get anything to work properly.could i just be getting conflicts in my computer(ie i have a downloaded driver(geforce mx4000) for my graphics card,using a soundblaster x-fi soundcard any help would be appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help!what do i do
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help!what do i do
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well...

In reply to: help!what do i do

sounds like you have a major e-mail problem. First thing I would suggest is disconnecting your internet connection, then try to run Norton if it will run or find what it's suppose to. I won't get into why I don't suggest even having Norton as it won't help your problem. From what you describe, it sounds like you had some mass e-mail worm and it's probably through your Outlook Express. If you unplug your internet connection, your mail should stop flow. It also sounds like you had issues before Norton, don't know what you were running before if anything.

ASSUMING YOU CAN GET WINDOWS TO WORK:

Backing up can be a task in more than one way. If you pc is infected, you may have a hard time getting anything to work, plus if you don't know where the viruses\trojans and who knows what else, is on your system you risk backing the infection up without knowing it. This is why I think you should do the above mentioned before anything. I can almost guarantee your pc is infected and don't know if it's in the system restore or not. If it is, we'll find out soon enough when scanning if unable to delete from it's directory in which case sys restore will have to be set to 0% and shut off and you won't have a restore point. If bad enough you may have to reinstall the system.

If you can , I believe Norton has right click virus scan ability. Select your most important files\folders that you don't want to lose and do a virus scan on them. If they are clean, back up to CD\DVD if possible. Or if you have another partition that's not holding infected files.

ASSUMING YOU CAN'T:

Since you have XP home, I would also assume OEM as you didn't specify. What I mean is did XP home come with your pc pre-installed or did you buy it yourself? You didn't say what brand of pc you have either, RAM , hard disk, etc...

There are a number of possiblilities for a reinstall of the OS depending if you answer the above. One step at a time though.

Note: This is a hard lesson to learn if you don't back up your files regularly.

Paul

Collapse -
this is what info i've gathered

In reply to: Well...

amd athlon xp 2000 1.67ghz 512mb of ram
windows xp home version 2002 service pack1

on the main windows start up screen i have a message that has appeared since i deleted my dial up connection
c:\windows\system32\i.tmp
the specified path does not exist,check the path then try again

also a box appears
microsoftvisual c++runtime library buffer overrun detected
a buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the programs internal state.the programme cannot safely continueexecutionand must now be terminated

i managed to open norton,it took ages to come up,i scanned for viruses and although the actual programme said no viruses were found,i kept getting pop ups saying anti virus has detected a virus on your computer several times

c:\windows\system32\etc.dll
trojan-awax
c:\windows\system32\vtutu.dll
trojan-adclicker

both were unable to repair
both were acces to the file denied

the scan was taking ages so i terminated it,about 5mins per file,it would take a week to complete,oh yeah and both viruses were high risk
cheers eifion

Collapse -
At this point...

In reply to: this is what info i've gathered

(IF) there is nothing of great importance on the pc, I would simply do a fresh install. I felt I should say this about Norton as well since you said it won't find anything. If you are that badly infected, I think your only choice is such. Or if you can get Avast Free home edition which WILL detect and remove. Can you get it from someone else? I can't guarantee it will install. If it will, you may have a chance. I don't use AVG but hear it's good as well.

I have removed many Nortons from computers in the past few months. A woman my wife works for had the Norton package and she had 4 trojans, Norton detected one but doing a scan would yeild no results. All it would do is attempt to alert but that was it, no info during initial scan. Keep in mind there were quite a few pcs like this, same norton, I Disabled Norton on every one , downloaded the free Avast home edition, it found everything and got rid of it as well at the click of a button. Over (if recall correctly) 10 computers in 3 months same issue, Norton would not detect until too late or do a scan and find nothing.

So not to repeat but if that bad, I would do the suggested. Yes Norton takes long enough to scan that you can watch your kids get taller, on average 2 - 1\2 hrs. Avast takes about 1 hour to 1 1\2 from my experience. This is doing a full scan on both. You don't have a choice though, either do a long thorough scan or say bye bye to your OS and your data eventually.

Paul

Collapse -
avast

In reply to: At this point...

i am as we speak trying to download avast.how do i disable norton?is there a chance it could be conflicting with another anti virus package on my computer,how do i check?trying to answer you sooner but this computers playing up a bit as well,2nd hand junk.huh!!!
eifion

Collapse -
What I did...

In reply to: avast

was simply right click Norton and choose to shut down the auto protect, web monitoring, etc... It warns that your protection will be gone or should. If that fails or Avast throws a fit, hit CTRL ALT DEL, bring up task manager window, in processes, try ending task on navapasvc.exe and ccapp.exe which should be the main ones. This should be fair enough to get Avast going. Conflict between the two is the least of your worries unless it won't work at all.

I didn't know you were working from this computer. Is there anyone that could download Avast for you? You would be far better off. As well, I believe I stated, no guarantees getting Avast going but worth a try. It hasn't failed me yet. "fingers crossed" .

You do understand if badly enough infected, even if you get rid of all the garbage, it may delete some needed dll's and other needed registries? Also at this point of no telling when the pc became infected so if Avast finds it can't delete a virus\trojan, if it's in some file it can't access, it's probably in the system restore then. We will cross that bridge when we come to it. If we can get the system clean and if not in system restore, you may be able to restore the pc to a good point before the infection. However this is one of the first places it hits.

Paul

Collapse -
went ahead and did a clean install

In reply to: What I did...

did a clean full install of windows xp home,wiped clean my drive.will there still be any anti virus software on my computer or will it be wiped off and can i now install a new security package,also want to get my power dvd of my other computer how do i burn this to disc

eifion

Collapse -
Smart move...

In reply to: went ahead and did a clean install

on your part. There was no telling how bad it was but from the sounds of it, it was pretty bad. You would probably had run into oodles of trouble afterwards.

It depends, if you have OEM and Norton came installed with it, "probably trial anyway" you will have it but I suggest uninstalling it and getting Avast, it's better, Free, and will catch infections on the go.

If you purchased Norton and would like your pc to run slower than tar in the north pole, you can download it and hopefully you had your key.

You would be best to get a decent firwall as well, the best I found for free some better than paid , like Comodo Firewall, free for life. I also like Kerio which has trial then limited but free and there are many others. ZoneAlarm I can live without but it's your choice. I would also suggest SpywareTerminator which has HIPS and real time scanning. When setting up choose NOT to send information, only free version asks this and you are set to go. With HIPS it will alert of anything that tries to run without your knowledge or with and found Spyware terminator to be an excellent program. Far better than Adaware,etc...

On my system, these are what I have. No problems at all. Safe browsing helps.

Comodo Firewall
SpywareTerminator
Fix it Utilities anti-virus
Firefox browser

**This is of course just a suggestion to some and there are many more and it's totally up to you what you would want. Everyone may suggest something different.**

Collapse -
reply to: help!what do i do

In reply to: help!what do i do

What email client are you using?

Have you tried "Last known good configuration"? While the computer is restarting continually tap the F8 key. When the boot menu displays using the arrow keys select "Last known good configuration" and press Enter.

If that doesn't work, again access the boot menu and select "Safe mode" and press Enter. Then check your Email client to see if there are may emails in the "Draft" folder. If there are delete them.

If you have more than one Anti-virus program make sure that only 1 of them is enabled.

Also, check for and de-select any suspicious programs in System Configuration utility. Start > Run > type "MSCONFIG" w/o the quotes and click OK. Click on the Startup tab and remove check marks from any suspicious programs. Do not restart the computer yet.

Go to Start > Programs > click on the Startup folder and delete any suspicious programs.

Next go to Start > Control panel > Add/remove programs. Remove any suspicious programs that should not be on the computer.

While in Safe mode run you Anti-virus and any anti-spyware programs that you have. If any problems are detected remove them. After removing the problems go Start > Control panel > click on System. When System Properties opens click on the System Restore tab. Place a check beside "Turn off System restore on all drives" and click on Apply.
Now remove the check mark and click Apply > OK.

Restart the computer and see how goes. Post back.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.