General discussion

Help! WEBSHOTS is now user unfriendly!

Aug 15, 2008 12:42AM PDT

Hi.. A while back in the Feedback Forum I posted a plea for help because Webshots, a source of neat photos had suddenly begun to prevent people from doing what I had been doing for a long time: creating theme albums by putting their pictures into MY PICTURES folder. In the past I had just enlarged each photo, then right clicked on the mousse and a box would pop up with an option "Save as..." allowing me to place the photo into my My Pictures folder.
Suddenly it stopped working and I was very distressed as I had already accumulated large groups of photos on different subjects in My Pictures and wanted to continue the practice. I went on with a call for help and someone came up with a workable solution: Enlarge the photo as before; right click and you'll get a "+" sign which you drag down to the My Pictures toolbar and then when it opens My Pictures you could just insert the photo. That worked fine...I did call the company though to complain and they said they had "solved the problem" of removing photos because of fear of legal problems if they let the photos out.
Suddenly however, after a few days the problem mysteriously went away and I was able to place in My Pictures as I originally had.
Now, as of last night, the problem is back and worse than ever. When I enlarged a photo and right clicked, no "Save As" option, no + anymore but instead a box asking me whether I wanted to Zoom In, Zoom Out, etc. I tried clicking and hitting the My Pictures bar and nothing happened. So it seemed that they have now totally prevented me from continuing to do what I wanted to do.
Can anyone there try out the process and see if they can come up with a solution? I have been using their own photo album lately but this is not solving the problem of having my own independent folder which can include the many photos I have already placed into My Pictures.
By the way, another concern is...If I do create Webshot folders by downloading their photos into their own provided folders are they able to look at these folders themselves or is my own privacy maintained? (I am not uploading them for public use..just wanting them to group pictures myself).I didn't know if these Webshot folders were really personal..or whether someone was able at their company to grab them and see what I was placing into them which violates my privacy.

I await help if at all possible!
Thanks so much!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help! WEBSHOTS is now user unfriendly!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help! WEBSHOTS is now user unfriendly!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
"violates my privacy."
Aug 15, 2008 1:07AM PDT

I read your post twice and can't tell where a privacy issue exists. However the right click save as can DIE with Internet Explorer as it's Temporary Internet Cache "issue." I can't tell if you are cleaning that from time to time.

There is also an issue where people saved just the link to a photo and they thought the web site was controlling their machine. This turned out to be an issue of learning how things work. If you saved a link to the image and not the actual image then the image when removed from the web will cease to work after some time when the web page is gone.

Good luck,
Bob

- Collapse -
PS. Read post 4 of this link.
Aug 15, 2008 3:02AM PDT
- Collapse -
Webshots Site
Mar 4, 2009 11:37AM PST

Can Someone help me with this.The webshots is not working and says Page Load error.

- Collapse -
webshots, not so nice
Aug 15, 2008 2:37AM PDT

Webshots is at it again. They have blocked the right-click feature to prevent an image from being downloaded. The only way now to save the image is to copy the jpg from the source. To do this, click to enlarge the image has you have done in the past. Now go up to your tool bar and click on "view" ( next to file, edit, help..this is for windows xp, for vista, go to the upper right and click "page") now from the menu, click on "source" ("view source" for vista) A windows notepad box will appear with a considerable amont of text. Along the text you will find a line that starts with http..and ends with "jpg"
for example, http://image60.webshots.com/760/3/21/25/2805321250072798847spyIej_ph.jpg.. just highlite this line and copy. Open another window and 'paste' the copied url on to your address box up top, hit enter and the picture now can be saved. Like you, I save some photos for my own personal use [theme albums] I understand copyright and privacy concerns but, it is after all, a photo sharing website..go figure

- Collapse -
Annoyed with Webshots!
Aug 20, 2008 1:45PM PDT

Hi,

I thought I was the only one experiencing this issue. I was pretty upset about it as I was able to download pics from family and friends with no problem. I have emailed customer service about this issue and am waiting to hear back from them within the next two days. It is very frustrating! I hope they can get this issue resolved soon!

- Collapse -
My experience contacting Webshots
Aug 20, 2008 4:57PM PDT

Actually, having been plagued with this inability to save photos over the past month I did some of my own detective work..since the site doesn't reveal any real phone contact number and found that Webshots is a part of American Greetings. I have several phone numbers but don't recall which, if any are the right ones. In all my calls, it was explained that these changes were by no means accidental, but intentional..as the parent company to Webshots is concerned about legal ramifications regarding copyright infringement of the people uploading photos. They, for this reason, have been working on ways to prevent people from downloading off their site onto other hard drive files.
Their only solution is to have you pay to be a premium member which allows you only to download the photos to their own albums..but they have tried to prevent us from independently placing these photos anywhere else on our computer. With their own Desktop Manager, however, they allow you to import photos from other areas of the computer to mix in albums you can create on their own Desktop Manager from Webshot photos.
For me it had been a hastle as I had already downloaded tons of photos which I had grouped on My Pictures and wanted to create DVD's, only for my own use, where I could look at each group I placed in these collections. I instinctively dislike not being able to have a "hard copy" of these photos that I can preserve but instead must only watch these photos on my computer screen using their Webshots albums.
I will give you several numbers that might bring you the Webshot customer service which is usually quite hidden: I have 800-222-8815;
also, 800-746-8696 and the parent number for American Greetings which I believe is 216-252-7300.
Since this is supposed to be a photo sharing site perhaps you and others can more directly express your unhappiness with these new severe limitations on these shared photos as I have done in vain.

- Collapse -
Webshots Update!
Aug 21, 2008 1:56PM PDT
http://blog.webshots.com/?p=964

They finally admit it after a month! Gosh. Well this pretty much sucks. So if you want to download 100 different pictures of sunsets, I guess you have to be friends with 100 different people. I am not impressed. I think I will start sharing my photos on another site! Please write to them to tell them your frustrations and what a bad feature you think this is! Happy
- Collapse -
Should have done this with their site
Aug 29, 2008 4:32PM PDT

Check out a site called Fotki.com where you can download any picture you want. They have the perfect answer to protecting pictures. If a Fotki member does not want a group of pictures to be downloaded it is put in a folder marked private. In order to view this folder you have to request permission from the owner for the password. Webshots I believe is trying to make some money now that it has changed ownership. It use to be fun to use, now it is worthless to me. Stupid people if they don't want their pictures download because of so called copywrite issues, then hello don't post it fool. My thought is if you own the original photo and some one else uses it with out your permission for personal gain or whatever, you can sue their behinds. So if anyone wants to use any of my photos for capital gain, please do and I hope you make beau coup money doing it because we will have to share the money in half. Pikkukani

- Collapse -
Webshots has lousy customer service
Jun 29, 2010 12:54PM PDT

The telephone numbers are well-hidden, which tells me they don't really want to talk to their customers. I've emailed customer service several times and have gotten no response from Webshots or American Greetings either one, which confirms in my mind that they aren't interested in talking to any of their customers, whether the person is using the free or the premium services.

No one at Webshots will explain when they decided to make it impossible for anyone to download any of the pictures in the Gallery that I lost when I had to uninstall and reinstall the software. The software still doesn't work right.

No one at Webshots is interested in helping me figure out why the desktop organizer/short-cut will no longer launch to the Webshots site or why there for a while the calendar was stuch 'til I reinstalled the software. They don't seem all that apologetic that I lost all the pictures I had collected over a long period of time.

I'm trying to understand why they no longer make it clear which pictures are free and which ones they want money for or why this has suddenly changed for me. So, am I correct in assuming that anyone using the free service is no longer allowed to download any of the pictures in the Gallery and is relegated to the "Community" pictures of people I don't know, over cropped pictures, out of focus pictures, over exposed pictures or pictures that are too dark or pictures that really arent all that interesting to me? Are these now the only pictures that people with the free 'limited' service are allowed to have now that Webshots decided to reformat their site again?

I want to know why they feel like they don't have to provide real customer service or why they feel like the online "technical support" is supposed to be enough when my questions aren't even answered on that page. I've told them numerous times and those rude people aren't interested in answering my questions as to why nothing works right or why I'm no longer able to download the pictures I used to always be allowed to download or why the desktop shortcut won't launch or why Adobe Air won't update or why I can't have the daily pictures downloaded to my desktop any more.

I understand that people want money, but these people seem to have their hands out and aren't providing what they say they're supposed to be providing for free. And, I see that people who have paid for the services still have problems, so why on earth do those greedy people think I want to pay for the premium services unless or until they fix the problems that their "geniuses" created when they recently reformatted the site? I mean, if people who are paying for the service are getting treated the same way as the people who are using the free service, why should I pay for their service for them to still abuse me in this manner?

I just want someone to answer my questions and to help me get the thing to work. I can promise Webshots and American Greetings, though, that if this is what they want to call "Customer Service" that I am less and less inclined to choose to pay for service, especially when I see that people who pay for the premium serice are still mistreated.

- Collapse -
calling webshots
Sep 29, 2010 2:38AM PDT

Thank U for posting those numbers for webshots, with out them I never would have been able to get my money back. They are fools for dealing with people the way they do. No good company leaves out a costumer service number, which tells me that webshots is no long a good company to do business with. There are plenty of other photo sites to get and post photos.

- Collapse -
Webshots
Jun 28, 2010 3:02PM PDT

A good work around is to get an old copy of irfan view, 3.80 or earlier. It lets you go through collections one pic at a time time with the option to save. Works great. This feature was removed from later versions of Irfan. I keep an old copy of 3.80 on my computer just for this reason. You can have as many versions of Irfan as you like, installed at the same time.

- Collapse -
Another option
Jun 29, 2010 10:46PM PDT

When all else fails when trying to download a photo from some website that has made it nearly impossible to do so, I use a third party screen capture program such as techsmiths snagit or Gadwins print screen which is freeware. I realize that this solution is a little more cumbersome than what you are looking for.

- Collapse -
I don't understand how this option is supposed to work
Jun 30, 2010 1:47AM PDT

I'm not able to find the screenshot made with Gadwin. I have no idea where it gets downloaded to. It says "Clipboard", but that doesn't make sense, since I have no idea where the "clipboard" is if it isn't in My Pictures or My Documents. This makes no sense either.

- Collapse -
Lesboy66 has posted this topic thread 2 years ago.
Jun 30, 2010 2:07AM PDT

Once again, replying to a self-fixed problem is not too advisable. :b

It could have been a graphics card glitch or a bad resolution setting, who will ever know? I know just that very type of person: Nobody.

Hope that topic threads get a little bit closer to the forum thread: Computer Hardware issues.

Please and, thank you.
Wink

- Collapse -
Webshots Solution
Jun 30, 2010 2:17AM PDT

I discovered how to get nice pictures without having to rely on Webshots "Community" pictures, which are nothing but a bunch of people I don't know shot by amateurs, like me. Download wallpaper pictures to My Pictures folder, then make a new collection with the Webshots desktop organizer. One can find nice professional pictures for free and can still use Webshots for free. There is no way I'm going to pay for their service, since they treat their customers like garbage.

- Collapse -
You are right
Jan 31, 2011 12:34AM PST

You can use the program for free and download beautfil non-pro pictures for free. Then put them in your picture folder or in a folder on your desktop. Then use the webshots program to view them as wallpaper or screensavers. The pictures I put up on webshots, I have copies of and I can access them at any time, with or without websots program.

- Collapse -
Re-Photos
Oct 2, 2010 11:43AM PDT

Webshot can be has a mind of its own,I had that problem before on my pc,my advise is to download a program called picasa where you will get all your pictures and follow the directions,do not click on the first button choose your documents files.when finished. uninstall webshot. webshot takes up lots of memory.
hope this helps.

- Collapse -
Webshots Malware
Jan 28, 2011 4:48AM PST

I came across this article today by Wikepedia........
Malware

Unbeknownst to its users, Webshots employed its Webshots Desktop Application (a free program that users can download from their site to manage their online pictures[4]) to install the Kiwee Toolbar as part of a software update for this program[5]. Once infiltrated in the user's computer, this piece of malware cannot be removed by regular means.[6][7] Kiwee toolbar is potentially dangerous because it may install additional malware onto the compromised computer and collect user-identifying information possibly resulting in privacy violations and identity theft. The site was classified as EMD (sites engaged in malware distribution)[Cool by hpHosts, a community dedicated to protect Internet users against access to ad, tracking and malicious websites[9].

Sure glad Safari won't let me download any pro shots photos from Webshots.

Found that National Geographic has gorgeous wallpaper - it's fee.

- Collapse -
Webshots access
Jan 29, 2011 9:11AM PST

The only solution I have been able to come up with is to play for the use of the program, which then allows you the access you are looking for. It is only $15.00. I gave in because it is half the price I pad the following two years earlier, and because I wanted access to my photos. I am not really adding anymore pictures to the site, but at leaset I can still access my own and download what I want. Times are hard for many companies, and they are tring to survive like the rest of us. They lowed their price by half, I think it is worth what they ask. Think about doing the membership, or find a free photo site. That is my idea for fixing the problem. If you only want something for nothing, then you are going to continue to have the problem you are having. Good luck with what ever you decide.

- Collapse -
Phone number for webshots
Jan 29, 2011 9:22AM PST

I went to google and typed in "webshots 800 phone number", and I did fined a couple of numbers, but I don't know where I put them. Then do that with Bing and other search engines. Good luck with that.

- Collapse -
copy write
Jan 29, 2011 9:28AM PST

The only way you will be able to sue, is if you catch them. If someone does make money on one of you photos, then it must be a preety picture. Lucky you.

- Collapse -
webshots
Jan 29, 2011 9:42AM PST

webshots is not just amateurs, I download pro shots aften. Some so called amateurs photos are as good as pro shots. Photobay or something like it has members that take amazing pictures and you can get them free. Spread your wings and find sites where the pictures will amaze you.

- Collapse -
Other Wallpapers Besides Webshots
Jan 29, 2011 11:20AM PST

I went through withdrawal from no longer being able to download proshots from Webshots (have been
a premium member since 2002. Always thought it was worth the price to have access to them esp
when using a mac.) Found that using Google Chrome has a lot of good quality photos for free - my
virus protection alerts me when on a bad site or blocks what they are trying to do.

Has any one using a mac been able to download the webshots pro shots?

- Collapse -
Need to correct
Jan 31, 2011 12:22AM PST

I mentioned Photobay, but it is Photographbay. Also, I forgot to correct typos. Sorry to all that read any of my posts with typos.

- Collapse -
new correction #2
Jan 31, 2011 3:22AM PST

I forgot to put the y at the end of "Photographybay". Now it is right. Sorry.

CNET Forums

Forum Info