Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help w/ Vista

by jnqm08 / July 24, 2008 1:36 AM PDT

Got a new HP Media Center PC w/ AMD64 Live duo. Had a Shuttle P$ 1.8 gb w/ XP Pro before. HP w/ Vista is the pits. More flags and warning pop ups than I can stand. Sound quality is very poor compared to my previous XP - no equalizer just bunch of bad choices for sound effects etc. All in all crap. Tomorrow is deadline for return of this garbage. I had a Geek Unlimited (useless outfit that is)guy transfer all my stuff and supposedly set everthing up and running at cost of close to $400 and a lot of stuff still won't work right. My Combat 3 Flt won't work and can't print off selection from net. Bottom line is I want to get rid of this and transfer everything back to my XP computer. How can I do this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help w/ Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help w/ Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's to transfer?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2008 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Help w/ Vista

When most of these places transfer they really "copy" stuff over and never destroy what was on the original machine.

Collapse -
Let's try using your backup system.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2008 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: What's to transfer?

Since hard disks fail all the time, use the drive, disks that you backup to and copy those back to the original machine.

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / July 24, 2008 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Help w/ Vista

Well, as I just got done saying in a different thread here, I'd bet money that the problem isn't so much Vista as it is you bought an HP system. All versions of Windows have been in need of seriously revamped fault tolerance. For every improvement Microsoft has made on that front over the years, Windows still trips and falls entirely too easily when it encounters poor quality hardware. If you had Linux running on that system, it might not be as stable as it would be on a system with better quality hardware, but Linux would likely just stumble where Windows would trip and fall.

So in the future, don't touch HP/Compaq systems even with a stolen 10 foot pole. There is a reason they are consistently some of the cheapest systems out there, and that's because the hardware is crap. In general with computers, lower prices means lower profit margins. Lower profit margins means more corners cut in the production to try and save a few pennies on every system. Ultimately that results in shoddy hardware, which has been a staple of HP/Compaq systems for over a decade... Dating back well past the time when HP and Compaq were separate companies. This really shouldn't be news to anyone. HP and Compaq systems have always been infamous for being steaming POS. If you buy one, you are almost guaranteed to be sorry.

So, I'm not saying that Vista isn't without any blame here, just that I suspect you're blaming Vista when you should be blaming HP. Especially when you're comparing it to a Shuttle system. Shuttle is a very low volume, specialty system maker, sort of like Apple. Like Apple, they charge a premium for their systems, and some of that goes to increased quality control compared to the bigger volume vendors like HP/Compaq, Dell, Gateway, etc.

Lecture aside... What is "everything" that you want to transfer back to the other system? Things like video files and photos are no problem. Programs you probably want to just forget about.

Also, if things didn't work right after paying close to $400, why did you not demand either a refund, to have someone come out again and again until it does work right, or both? You paid for a service, and from the sound of it, did not receive the service you paid for. So you should either demand the service you paid for or your money back.

Collapse -
Helpw/ Vista
by jnqm08 / July 24, 2008 2:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

I tend to agree re HP. Yes, what I need to transfer back is all pics, mail, docs etc. that I added since I've been using this crap for 3 mos. The Geek Unlimited guys say all they did was transfer my old stuff so they're not responsible for software/hardware issues. Big help they are.

Collapse -
Several options
by Jimmy Greystone / July 24, 2008 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Helpw/ Vista

There are several options open to you then.

I'll assume both systems have a network card of some sort, or at least a USB 2.0 port.

If you have both systems connected to some sort of router or switch, it's a pretty simple matter of setting up a file share on one system and then copying the files over. I wouldn't recommend doing this over a wireless link if you can help it, just because wireless is horribly slow for moving large amounts of files.

You could buy a crossover cable and connect the two systems directly, and set up a file share to copy files from one system to the other.

You could buy an external hard drive, and copy things to it, then move it to the other system, and offload them there.

You could get a special USB cable for this sort of task, though I'd advise keeping it as a last resort option.

You could burn the files to CD/DVD and ferry the data to the other system that way, while maintaining a backup.

You could even get an external enclosure, pull the hard drive out of the HP system, take it over to the Shuttle, copy everything over, and then put the drive back into the HP.

There are probably at least a dozen other possible ways of doing this, but that should be more than enough to get you started. There are websites galore on setting up file shares on Windows, so don't hesitate to do a little googling.

Anyway, just let this be a lesson on why you don't buy an HP/Compaq system. The small upside to this, is that often the more excruciating the experience, the more likely we are to remember it for a very long time to come. So just keep away from HP/Compaq systems from here on out, and you will likely be much happier.

Collapse -
Help w/ Vista
by jnqm08 / July 24, 2008 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Several options

Tks for all the help. It goes back tomorrow and no more HP c rap for me.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?