Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Help! Very Nasty Virus - No Desktop. Task Mgr Disabled.

by cat1886 / September 6, 2009 1:35 PM PDT

I had a virus on both my computers - i finally fixed one computer. I was going to try the same remedy on the 2nd computer so I rebooted. I was asked for username/password - then the wallpaper appeared but the desktop/icons do not. I tried rebooting, tried again and I even waited up to 1.5 hrs to see if they would appear. When I do ctrl+alt+del the task manager is disabled. I have tried rebooting in "last config" mode - still the same and it will not let me reboot in "safe" mode (it doesnt recognize domain?). I have read several postings online and someone suggested ctrl+alt+esc to access task manager - that does nothing.

Just some background - the virus i had on my computer (which appeared to have been removed) it kept telling me i had a security virus and to download software (i did not) and there was a red circle with a white X in the center on the bottom right hand on my screeen. After running AV i finally got rid of the messages and the red circle but my computer was still not really running properly.

I would appreciate any suggestions and I am not super-techie so any advice please provide step-by-step instructions

Also, I noticed a lot of people answer by telling people to download stuff - please remember i have NO access to my desktop.

Thanks so much!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! Very Nasty Virus - No Desktop. Task Mgr Disabled.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! Very Nasty Virus - No Desktop. Task Mgr Disabled.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I am going to assume
by dawillie / September 6, 2009 2:39 PM PDT

that you have at least Windows XP in which case you have access to the 'system retore' function.

what you have fallen victim to is what are called 'rogue' AV, which tempt you into using them to scan, advising you that you have X# of viruses, and telling you to buy their product in order to fix and taking control of your PC while you are at it.

System restore to the pont b4 you got started on this journey will restore you PC to b4 the madness.

Collapse -
If Safe and Normal mode won't let you see your
by Donna Buenaventura / September 6, 2009 2:46 PM PDT

desktop, this means.. you can try to use any of the following:

1. Avira AntiVir Rescue System: http://free-av.com/en/tools/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html

2. Recovery Console for XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?