Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help! very confusing hard drive problem! :/

by ishy321 / November 10, 2010 10:17 PM PST

Hi im new here , I joined because. I have a very confusing problem with one of my sata hard drives. Its a 500 gb maxtor I think(ill check again tonight) ok here's what happened: I came home and my pc had the blue screen of death so I restarted but it wouldnt boot! It said bootmgr missing. I tried various things like bootoing off windows 7 to try repair but it didnt even recognise the disc. After hours of stressing out I decided to disconect all my hard drives (4 in total) I then just connected the drive with windows installed and it booted up no pproblem. The problem is that when I reconnect the 500gb drive with ALL my stuff on like films,dvds,music,apps etc it will not boot! The foxconn screen comes up then just hangs,pressing keys does nothing and if I press the power button on tower it immidiatley powers down. If I connect just The power to the drive or just the sata cable the pc will boot but if both are connected it just hangs on the foxconn screen. My pc was running just fine for last couple of years and all of a sudden this happens? So basically my pc wont boot if the 500gb drive is connected. I did manage to get into the bios on one occassion but the. 500gb drive wasnt visible in the list.
I would really appreciate any advice. Anyone can give me as im really at a dead end. I really dont want to loose all the data on that drive as its took ages to colllect and is important.

If theres any extra info you need just ask Happy
Hers my pc spec so you know:
Pentium d 925 3.0ghz
Foxconn 945g7md 8ekrs2h mobo
Mis nx8600gt 256mb fanless
4x 1gb ddr2 667 ram
1x160gb maxtor hdd
1x200gb samsung hdd
1x160gb maxtor hdd
1x500gb maxtor hdd (problem drive)
All sata!
Ocz psu 600watt
All drivers and bios upto date.
Thanks guys Happy

Pete.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! very confusing hard drive problem! :/
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! very confusing hard drive problem! :/
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: bad disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 10, 2010 10:28 PM PST

Yes, that happens, a disk that turns bad. It's always a little bit distressing to see it happen to people you forgot to backup their data, because (for some reason unclear to me) they think that cars can fail and TV's can fail but hard disks can't. Surprise for you: hard disks do fail also.

Anyway, all you can do:
Buy a SATA to USB2 cable (some USD 20) and use that to connect that disk via USB (as an external disk) after you booted without it.
Now there are 2 options:
1. Everything is fine. Then immediately copy all data from it to another hard disk.
2. The disk can't be read. Then try the tools from http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7588_102-354911.html?tag=threadListing;forum-threads. They might be able to copy your data to another hard disk before you throw away the old one.
3. Those tools don't work either. Then go to www.drivesavers.com or any other respectable data recovery company and ask them how much it will cost to get your data back. It won't be more than few $ per Gigabyte. That's not much for important data, is it?

Kees

Collapse -
bad drive :o nooooooooooo plz :(
by ishy321 / November 10, 2010 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: Re: bad disk

Hey thanks for fast reply Happy yes I realise I should have backed it up but that would take an awfull lot of dvds lol or it would have meant buying another hdd,anyway ive just ordered a pci sata card to see if that. Helps? If it doesnt ill get a sata to usb cable or docking thing and try that,ill also check out your other suggestions asoon as I get home(using my phone to do this at the mo) ill reply on what happens and how I get on.
Thanks again for your help pal
Pete.

Collapse -
Good luck with the PCI SATA card BUT ...
by Edward ODaniel / November 10, 2010 11:42 PM PST

what will most often happen is that because of the way the BIOS polls the hardware the boot process witll continue to hang if the drive is bad.

The advantage of trying a USB connection of the suspect drive is that it will not affect the booting of the PC as the drive SHOULD NOT be connected until after the PC has fully booted into Windows.

Sorry to hear that you hadn't backed up your data but if Kees suggestion fails to work there is always Ontrack Data Recovery or Drive Savers (two of the better known data recovery experts) who can attempt to recover the data if you are willing to pay the price. The bright side is that checking their estimates for recovery will enable you to set a price on the actual value of your data.

Good Luck.

Collapse -
update
by ishy321 / November 11, 2010 1:46 AM PST

Hey thanks again, ive emailed a recovery company here in the uk for a quote,they say they can do it quite cheap and will not be beaten on price.
I have 4 sata ports on my motherboard and I just tried booting windows by connecting my os drive in each one at a time and number1 port will not let it boot! It boots fine in all the other ports but not in number1 strange! When I try to boot it fitted to sata1 it says resuming windows instead of starting windows then just goes to black screen with flashing cursor this in top left of screen,only thing I can do is press power and it just cuts out.
Is my motherboard the problem now? Hmmm im puzzled. Anyway just wanted to add that to see what you guys think.

As for backing up I think ill get an extra new drive to just have for data I wouldnt wanna loose and follow you guys advice.
I hope I can still save my data for free but if not ill just have to see what they quote me for recovery.

Thanks
Pete.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?