Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Help using GMail with multiple email addresses

by argelius / December 29, 2009 12:11 AM PST

I am in the process of switching to GMail and trying to sort out how to configure things how I would like.

I've got 3 GMail and one work email address that I have successfully set up to be retrieved by my main GMail account. I've associated each email address with its own label.

If I understand things correctly, when an email arrives for one of these accounts, I can either view it the Inbox or in the label/folder associated with that account. If, in Settings=>Accounts & Import I set up the POP account to "skip inbox", it will only show up in its associated Label/Folder.

While the above more or less works for me, I was wondering if there's a way to have separate Inboxes for each account - distinct from the Labels/Folders.

What I'd like to do is use the labels for emails I want to save (like "Receipts", "Travel Info", etc). Having the labels also serve as Inboxes for the separate accounts is a tad confusing.

So, is there any way to configure GMail such that it looks like this:
Inbox 1
Inbox 2
Inbox 3
Inbox 4
All Mail
Label 1
Label 2
Label 3

I've installed the "multiple inboxes" feature from Google Labs, but I can't find an explanation anywhere of how that works.

Thanks in advance for anyone who cares to tackle this...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help using GMail with multiple email addresses
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help using GMail with multiple email addresses
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this in web mail, or using an email client
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 29, 2009 8:48 PM PST

eg Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird etc?

If it is web mail then I don't know how to do it, but when I do this in Thunderbird, I simply set up individual accounts for each email account, (without skipping Inbox), and the process creates the normal account folders for each account, eg Inbox, Drafts, Trash, one each for each account. Each account is held in it's own main folder with the respective sub-folders.

Then, I organise/create folders as I wish. I believe, but have never tried it, that folders can be dragged to new positions, and the Inbox, etc renamed. If I want specific emails to be downloaded to specific folders, I use Message Rules to set up the appropriate rules.

That's how I do it, but perhaps I didn't understand you correctly.

Collapse -
by argelius / December 30, 2009 12:48 AM PST

Thanks. You understood me correctly...

Since posting that I've come to the conclusion that continuing to use an email client (in my case Apple Mail) is what I need to do. I was trying to tackle the challenge of moving to GMail's web site...but it just doesn't work for me. So I'm going back to the "old fashioned" way of viewing emails....

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?