TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HELP!! Upgrading my YAMAHA a/v receiver...

moving up from my yamaha rx-v995. Looking at rx-v663 or rx-v1800. I have polk t265i in-walls for fronts and center (rc80i in-ceilings for rear) w polk psw-1000 sub. panny 58 720p plasma. 2 37in panny plasmas mounted over 58 (a little ridiculous i know... i'm a big sports fan, and i also have wireless headphones so I can watch something else when my wife is watching estrogen-heavy programming). ps3 and wii are only components for now. room is roughly 20x17... couple questions:

1. will there be an easily noticeable difference in sound quality b/t the 663 and the 1800?

2. is the 663 a step down in SQ from my 995?

3. any other tips given my set up?

THANKS!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP!! Upgrading my YAMAHA a/v receiver...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP!! Upgrading my YAMAHA a/v receiver...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have the HTR-6160 myself, and think it's a great btfb.

In reply to: HELP!! Upgrading my YAMAHA a/v receiver...

btfb = bang for the buck, limited space for the subject line.

Needless to say, this is basically the equivalent to the RX-V663, and does seem like it's a great model, and did the job for me, decodes HD Master Audio and TrueHD quite well, and does upscale everything to the resolution needed, and does very well outputting audio to my JBL speakers. Pretty much, I'd say go for the 663, since it'll be well worth it, imo, and it'll have just the right amount of audio output and features.

Collapse -
your first yamaha?

In reply to: I have the HTR-6160 myself, and think it's a great btfb.

i'm willing to pay the additional $ for the 1800 if SQ is noticably better.

Collapse -
No, this is replacing an older, entry-level Yammy system.

In reply to: your first yamaha?

This is actually replacing an old entry-level Yamaha HTIB that I've had for a couple of years. It's actually an HTR-5930 and a 5.1 Yamaha speaker system that I've had since 2006. However, because of the ever-changing landscape in home theater, I sort of felt it was rather obsolete after a while, so I went for a more "bang for the buck" receiver for around the $500 mark, since I felt that would be pretty futureproof, and then the HTR-6160 was right around that price range, and was more dependable looking than the Onkyo 606, imo. At least the Yammy doesn't need that "breathing room" like the Onkyo would.

Collapse -
while Onkyo is not Yamaha

In reply to: No, this is replacing an older, entry-level Yammy system.

the 805 is the best deal

although many people probably don't need its amp. OTOH, I bet a lot of people could use its amp.

$100 more gets you:

-An upgrade of a couple of categories in amp section.
-high-end Burr Brown DAC set (same set used in $7,000 Denon pre/pro).
-Audyssey Multi EQ XT.
-Much more flexible bass mgmt.
-Can matrix hi-def bitstream.
-will not clip HDMI video signals whether BTB or WTW for PC users

If heat is a worry, buy a $10 fan. Even if the Onkyo has built in fans. While mine is sitting in an open audio rack, it only has a couple of inches above it, not the 8 or so recommended.

The fans inside the unit have never yet been triggered.

Bigger amps just produce more heat. That's the way it is. Shoot, I knew someone who opted out of his multi thousand $ Pass Labs amp because it heated up the room so much.

The only reason I see going 663 over 805 is if you already have an AV cabinet that cannot possible house its significantly larger size, or cannot handle its significantly greater weight.

(The 805 weighs about 60% more than the 663, and there is very good reason for this: THX Ultra 2 amp).

Collapse -
opinions on denon v yamaha?

In reply to: while Onkyo is not Yamaha

i'm now looking at the yammy 3800 and the denon 3808....

Collapse -
ALSO CONSIDER HARMON KARDEN AND NAD A/V/R MODELS

In reply to: opinions on denon v yamaha?

Riverledge.

Collapse -
HAHA

In reply to: opinions on denon v yamaha?

Collapse -
THAT'S THE HORRIBLE TRUTH. MONEY GROWS ON TREES.

In reply to: HAHA

RIGHT???

Oh well,

River.

Collapse -
In the end the Hitchhikers of the universe...

In reply to: THAT'S THE HORRIBLE TRUTH. MONEY GROWS ON TREES.

In the end the Hitchhikers of the universe, travel to a restaurant on the edge of the universe, and meet up with a group or rich misfits who wish to remake the human race on a past version of the Earth. This group proceeds to institute a means of exchange (money) even though barely a dozen humans exist to use money. They make the tree leaf their currency of exchange. After an inflation problem, the forests are burned down

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.