Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help: Update Installation Repeats

Hey!

I have a laptop - Sony Vaio VGN-SZ34GP running with pre-loaded Windows XP Professional SP2.

I'm experiencing some problems with Windows Update.
I have downloaded and installed the update 'MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update KB927979' countless times - nut each time I load up Windows prompts me to install it again and again and again.
And when I want to turn off my computer it prompts to install it again too.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't seem to be having this problem with any other updates.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help: Update Installation Repeats
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help: Update Installation Repeats
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you...

In reply to: Help: Update Installation Repeats

have "ZUNE" or had ZUNE, either pay or unistall it or try to get rid of residual ZUNE exe files that may be requiring you to keep installing.

Paul

Collapse -
Zune

In reply to: If you...

Thanks for your reply Paul!
I've never had ZUNE on my computer but put through a search for it anyway. Seems to be clean.
I think it might be an XP problem.

Collapse -
Back so Zune?

In reply to: Zune

Ok bad joke. The reference number pointed to zune a number of times. Also, people were getting these types of errors with MS Word, Office,etc..and never had them either. Some did though so I thought perhaps you got it in an update or it's well hidden in your files. It may be another error then but as I stated the KB pointed to Zune a number of times. Sorry it wasn't the problem.

Paul

Collapse -
reply to: Help: Update Installation Repeats

In reply to: Help: Update Installation Repeats

This all I could find regarding special installation instructions. It was so hard to find anything regarding it, I was beginning to wonder if it really existed.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/6/5/9657c01e-107f-409c-baac-7d249561629c/MSXML4SP_RelNote.htm

Also, MS offers free assistance regarding it updates. Go to http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/support.aspx?ln=en-us

If you still can't get it to install and if it should be something you don't particularly need, perhaps you can Restore the system to before the date/time it was downloaded.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

Collapse -
Help: Update Installation Repeats

In reply to: reply to: Help: Update Installation Repeats

Yeah I had problems finding anything about it too. Thanks heaps Charlie!
I shall try and find something via the Microsoft support link you posted.
In general there are all these wierd errors and software conflicts I can't seem to fix - and there are no viruses etc on my computer.
So I think I might have to do a complete system reload anyway.
Thanks again!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.