Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

HELP! Uninstalling or removing McAfee completely

Windows XP, SP2, Home Edition
My PC came with a McAfee AV which I removed from the beginning in order to install a Panda Platinun Internet Security 2005 (box version), which I did with no problem at all.
Now I am trying to install Platinum Int.Sec.2006 (downloaded version) and it won't install because it is detecting McAfee.
I had a technician remove any trace of McAfee that could have lingered behind (he cleaned the registry and everything), and still the Panda Platinum 2006 warns is detecting McAfee and won't install.
There is no warning that the file is damaged (corrupted). I have downloaded it twice.
Could it be damaged anyway? What else can I do to remove whatever could be left of McAfee in my PC, if anything? Is there anyway to go around this "McAfee detection" from Panda and install it?
During this whole process, I've had to install the Platinum 2005 (box version) several times and each time it installs successfully.
Any advice? PLEASE HELP!! Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Uninstalling or removing McAfee completely
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Uninstalling or removing McAfee completely
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See if this link helps emaa

In reply to: HELP! Uninstalling or removing McAfee completely

Collapse -
Emaa, How Old Is The Machine & Which Versions Of McAfee?

In reply to: HELP! Uninstalling or removing McAfee completely

Older versions of Virus Scan(such as the link Roddy provided) use a different uninstall routine than the newest ones..I need to know the EXACT versions of ALL McAFee products that were installed.

Was the firewall also installed? McAfee Security Center? Which version of Virus Scan? Have you opened the Add/Remove Programs section in the Control Panel and are there any McAfee programs still installed?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Uninstalling or removing McAfee completely

In reply to: Emaa, How Old Is The Machine & Which Versions Of McAfee?

The machine is only 5 months old. The McAfee came with it and it must have been a trial version. I really didn't pay much attention to it since I already had a Panda (Platinum 2005) from my old machine and wanted to install it right away. I removed the McAfee from Add/Remove and had no problem at all installing the Platinum 2005 which was a box version.
I asked the vendor of my PC about the McAfee version and was told that it was version 9. I don't think there was a firewall or anything like that (since it was a trial version) but I'll have to ask my vendor in more detail.
The thing is that I removed everything that had the name McAfee and, because I'm not a computer savvy, I had a technician remove whatever could have been left. He found some traces and removed them all. He then proceeded to search the PC "thoroughly" and found nothing. Can there still be any McAfee in my PC?
The Panda that I'm trying to install is a download version. Although it does not say to be damaged, could that be the problem? I wonder that since I had no problem installing the box version of Panda 2005.
I realize that not too many people appear to be familiarized with Panda. The product is very good but I cannot say the same thing about the technical support. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
McAfee Hides Well

In reply to: Uninstalling or removing McAfee completely

Please follow the steps in the links below. They are both contain manual removal instructions for Virus Scan 9 and although it may take a while to ferret out all the remnants, it should allow you to install your other AV. BE SURE to use the clean up tool in the first link.:

Manual Uninstall of McAfee VirusScan Online 8, 9, or 10

After using the instructions in the link above, follow the instructions in the link below to clean out more registry entries. Many will already be gone but it's possible some will remain.

Searching the Registry for McAfee VirusScan Files

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Uninstalling McAfee completely

In reply to: McAfee Hides Well

Grif, thank you for your help. I just saw your message because I've been very busy.
Remember that I don't know a lot about computers.

Is the VSCleanupTool mentioned in the document you referred me to completely safe?

Can anything go wrong?

Could something be deleted that shouldn't?

I have very important documents in my PC since I use it for my job.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
The Cleanup Tool Is Safe...

In reply to: Uninstalling McAfee completely

It only cleans out McAfee related files and registry entries.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Uninstalling McAfee Completely.....

In reply to: The Cleanup Tool Is Safe...

Grif, I ran the cleanup tool twice. The first time it found that almost everything did not exist already, and the very few McAfee things that were still hanging around were removed successfully. The second time, nothing was left, of course.
Still, Panda won't install.
I really don't feel comfortable going into the registry. Besides, the technician I hired supposedly did that. And...what would be the point, if the tool's report says that nothing exists any longer?
Any other advice (besides throwing Panda into the trash)? Thanks for all your help.

Emaa

Collapse -
Emaa, Many Techs Aren't Aware Of All Hiding Places...

In reply to: Uninstalling McAfee Completely.....

..for McAfee files. And more importanty, you still haven't been able to describe EXACTLY which McAfee version or program was installed as a "trial version"..I've seen store bought computers that only had McAfee Security Center installed and not the antivirus so we're guessing a little here..If Panda is still finding something, then there must be something remaining..The McAfee removal tools only clear out the majority of the problem areas..I've worked with McAfee enough to know there is almost always something left..

I still suggest using the registry clean up instructions. (Clearly the tech didn't clean out everything McAfee because the tool found something.) If you're concerned with working in the registry, perform a "dry run" by simply looking through the registry for the items listed in the link I provided..Don't delete anything yet. Just check through it. Be sure to make a backup before making any actual deletions and when you're confident, delete the problem registry entries.

In addition, do a search of the file system for the words: "McAfee" and "Network Associates". Delete them if found.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Uninstalling McAfee completely.....

In reply to: Emaa, Many Techs Aren't Aware Of All Hiding Places...

I believe it is an OEM: McAfee VirusScan Online.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OK, Still Need To Follow The Registry Clean Up Steps

In reply to: Uninstalling McAfee completely.....

Collapse -
Removing McAfee Completely.....

In reply to: (NT) OK, Still Need To Follow The Registry Clean Up Steps

Grif, I was out of town and didn't have the chance to check out your messages until now.

I performed the "dry run" through the registry and did find some of the items mentioned in the link you provided.

Now, that same link emphasizes to verify that each of them is McAfee related before deleting anything.

How do I do the verifying (in order to be sure) before any actual deletion?

Thanks again,

Emaa

Collapse -
emaa.. Grif is the one most qualified to answer this..

In reply to: Removing McAfee Completely.....

and I'm sure he will eventually see this.

The only thing I can add is, if you have backed up, and see ''McAfee'' or ''Network Associates'' reflected in your search, you can be assured they are related to McAfee.

Having said that.. I would wait for Grif to see this. He will try to give you the confidence you need.

Hang on..
Carol

Collapse -
Emaa, Follow The Links Instructions...

In reply to: Removing McAfee Completely.....

Be sure to make a backup per the instructions below, then delete the items you've found. I can't remember ever finding those entries where they shouldn't be removed.

IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE, BE CAREFUL. First, make a backup of the Registry. Click on Start-Run. When the box opens type in "regedit" (without the quotes). Click Ok. When the Registry Editor window opens, click on the "My Computer" entry so it is highlighted. Next, click on "Registry" in the upper left corner of the window, ("File" in Windows 2000/XP) choose "Export Registry File" (or "Export" in Windows 2000/XP). When the next window opens, be sure of the location where you are saving it to (I direct it to my desktop for easy access) and give the file a name like Backup. Click "Save". You now have a backup registry that can be double clicked and will replace the new one you?re going to make, IF you make any deletions you don't like..

After you've deleted the unwanted McAfee entries, then restart the computer and test the various programs, including accessing the internet, to confirm that no problems have been created. Once that's done, then send the "backup.reg" file from your desktop to the Recycle Bin. Leave it there for a few days and eventually delete it..You don't want to mistakenly run it because all those carefully removed registry entries would be copied back again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif, thank you......

In reply to: Emaa, Follow The Links Instructions...

Grif, thank you very much for your help and patience. The new AV is already installed and so far everything is running smoothly.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Emaa, Good Job & Glad We Could Help!

In reply to: Grif, thank you......

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!