Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Help - Unable to access some Websites

by Zim56 / October 29, 2004 9:49 AM PDT

Recently, some web sites I have frequently visited previously are no longer accessible. Example is Google.com. I am using IE6.0 and recently tried Firefox to see if it was an IE problem. I run NAV and NIS, but I have even tried to access after disabling NIS. I have also tried various IE config modifications with no success. I have also uninstalled all spyware packages. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help - Unable to access some Websites
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help - Unable to access some Websites
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Help - Unable to access some Websites
by Cursorcowboy / October 31, 2004 9:16 PM PST

Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be of much help:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

1. In order for us to analyze a potential problem and offer tips, we must rely only on the question content to attempt a qualifying response. A question should state the exact system error(s) - spelled, spaced, and capitalized just as it is shown on the display. Helpful perhaps is the window title in the colored bar of the report and any information when provided by a "Details" section also.

2. Most error messages:

? usually list and describe standard default error messages - written within the program code and generally recognized by most "Gurus"

==and==

? the troubleshooting techniques may be published and explained in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (MSKB) library for the Windows operating systems, and may be searched for with accurately reported information.

3. Correct and complete information is vital if informative help and answers are what you seek. You want that Guru who reads your plea to understand the question, to possibly know the answer, and to reply giving you their assistance.

Collapse -
Same problem....
by Fizzasist / January 26, 2005 8:29 AM PST

I am having the same problem on several different machines and at several different locations. I am completely baffled by this one and do not get baffled very easily! If you come up with anything please keep me posted! I will do the same......

Collapse -
Tried NSlookup?
by Fizzasist / January 28, 2005 12:01 AM PST

Go to a command prompt and type NSLOOKUP. Then type in an address like www.cnn.com and write down the IP address that it gives you. Open IE and go to file, open and type in http:// and then the numbers that it gave you. See if you can get there using this method. Then try one of the "blocked" sites. I have found that I can surf using the IP but not the name which tells me that it is a DNS issue but I am not sure why the addresses are not working.

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / January 28, 2005 8:48 PM PST
In reply to: Tried NSlookup?

1. Type the host name www.google.com in the address bar, and then press Enter.

2. Then type the TCP/IP address 216.239.57.99, and then press Enter.

Note If the URL does not works, it's a DNS-problem, "Microsoft TCP/IP Host Name Resolution Order (Q172218)."

Caveat: See if you have a file named 'hosts' (without any extension) in the Windows folder. If so, rename it and try again.

3. Check the settings of the DNS in the TCP/IP-properties for the Internet settings. They should be what the helpdesk of your provider recommends, "How to Troubleshoot Basic TCP/IP Problems (Q169790)."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?