Samsung forum

General discussion

HELP! Trying to connect PC to Samsung Plasma HDTV

by ericepk / November 25, 2008 3:39 PM PST

Hi all:

I was wondering if anyone could provide a solution for the following problem?

I am trying to connect my laptop (Thinkpad X60s running XP) via a VGA cable to my Samsung plasma (Model PN50A450). I've set everything up, but for some reason the when I switch the TV source to "PC Input" everything has a tint of PINK.

I've tried EVERYTHING on the TV - adjusting the RGB colors (under white settings), contrast, brightness, changing the TV picture modes (dynamic, standard, gaming, cool1, cool2, etc etc), and everything I can think of under the sun. But NOTHING WORKS!

For some reason the Xbox 360 and HD Cable inputs work perfectly, and it's just the PC input which has this "pink/red" problem...

I would GREATLY appreciate ANY help!!!!

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Trying to connect PC to Samsung Plasma HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Trying to connect PC to Samsung Plasma HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pink...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 26, 2008 1:47 PM PST

Ericepk,

How is the color when you hook it up to a standard external monitor?

My initial assessment based on the limited amount of information is that it could be a setting in the video card (do you have the latest driver from the manufacturer of your PC?) or it could be a defective input on the television.

90% of problems are solved by updating the latest firmware updates, so I'd definitely try that first. If not, you might want to call service and set up a service call.

But keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
thank you!
by ericepk / November 26, 2008 2:14 PM PST
In reply to: Pink...

Will do. But I know that my laptop has worked fine on every other external display I've ever used.

Thanks very much for the advice, and I'll post the outcome.

Collapse -
BIOS....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 26, 2008 3:13 PM PST
In reply to: thank you!

One last thing, and I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier.

Some computer manufacturers have assigned the pin in the cable (the one that tells the television to accept a signal) to a different pin. In some cases, updating the BIOS may fix this issue, and a pink tint may be the result of a reassigned pin. Updating the BIOS would fix this. It's always a good idea to have your computer running the latest BIOS anyway, but give that a shot. It may work.

Definitely keep me posted.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!