General discussion

Help transferring domain name

Hello,

I bought a domain name through VistaPrint with the intention of having them host my web site,their customer service is so bad I want to transfer hosts. I contacted GoDaddy and they told me the name was private and I would have to contact the registrant,which is ContactPrivacy ; apparently a subdivision of Tucows. When I try to contact them they send me a email stating someone visited their website and wants to contact me. Can Anyone help me with this. I have had it with these JERKS

Regards
lriecks1

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help transferring domain name
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help transferring domain name
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Have you tried

talking to VistaPrint?

~Sovereign

- Collapse -
Domain transfer

The CS people at VistaPrint are as useless as doorknobs on a tent.

- Collapse -
When you run a WHOIS

on your domain, who is listed as the owner?

~Sovereign

- Collapse -
Domain transfer

Hi Sovereign,

I am listed as the owner. Here is sthe problem,I wanted to transfer hosting to GoDaddy, When you look up the domain name in Whois,it shows the administrative contact as fourchonmariners@contactprivacy.com. GoDaddy is saying this has to be changed in order to transfer the hosting from VistaPrint to GoDaddy. I have tried to contact ContactPrivacy several times and all that happens is I get an email from them saying some one is trying to contact me. All this BS concerning domain names is ludicrous. If I won the name and it is listed in the Whois I should be able to transfer hosting at my discretion not jump through hoops. Thank for you help

Regards
lriecks1

- Collapse -
Notarized Letter

I think if you send a notarized letter with your identity proof (if you are the owner as listed ), Some registrar like Enom and Netsol ( from my personal experience ) should be able to move it. Make sure you mention that you do not have the email control.

It happens to many folks out there.

Move the domain, take the control and then you can change the DNS and be done with Vistaprint.

Rupesh

- Collapse -
Notorized Letter

Thank You Rupesh

Regards
lriecks1

- Collapse -
Vistaprint uses TUCOWS as Registrar ?

I see that Vista print uses Tucows as a registrar. You can verify yours by going to http://www.internic.net/whois.html and putting your domain name there. And see who is your registrar, most probably its Tucows. If yes , go to http://helpcenter.tucows.com/Email.php and email them your issue and tell them you would like to transfer the domain name and that you do not have access to the email ID , but you are the registrant and that you could fax them a notarized letter claiming ownership and the identity proof ( drivers license ). It might be a pain, but they will probably do it. Tucows is a good old registrar, in business years before Godaddy

- Collapse -
Vistaprint uses TUCOWS as Registrar ?

Hello

Thank you for your imput. The listed registrar is ContactPrivacy , in Toronto,Canada,when you go to their website Tucows is mentioned several times. Years ago I bought something from Tucows and had no problems. I thank you for the link to get to Tucows.

Regards
La Rue Riecks

- Collapse -
Make your domain name public, not private, and then transfer

Iriecks,

I think GoDaddy sees the registrant is ContactPrivacy because when you bought your domain with VistaPrint, you chose to make your information Private.

If you can access your domain control panel through Vista Point (they have a website where you can access your domain's setting?), then you should turn off the "Private" option. This way, YOUR contact information will be available to GoDaddy so they can appropriately contact you and make the transfer.

Note: Once GoDaddy makes the transfer so that your domain goes to GoDaddy, make sure you delete/cancel your domain payment/plan/subscription (whatever it's called) with VistaPoint.

I transferred from Yahoo to GoDaddy once, and even though it was successful, Yahoo still charged me an annual fee because they said I didn't officially go to Yahoo's website and "delete" my subscription plan -_-.

So basically

1.) Turn off "Private" option through your VistaPoint account
2.) Tell GoDaddy to initiate the transfer

- Collapse -
Make your domain name public, not private, and then transfer

Dear cr4zyfortech

THANK YOU I followed your instructions and it worked. VistaPrint should hire you as director of Customer Service. Thanks Again

Regards
lriecks1

- Collapse -
:-D

Congrats! I'm glad it worked out! haha

- Collapse -
Private option in Vistaprint?

Hi Iriecks,

I'm in a similar situation as you where. I created a web through Vistaprint and registered a domain name, now after seeing how limited it is, I would like to register the same domain or transfer it to another registrant, not sure which one yet...probably GoDaddy or 1and1.
But I don't seem to find the way to turn off the "Private" option in Vistaprint. There is a "Domain options" section, but the only option in there is one that allows you to use a domain which you already own...nothing else

What steps did you follow exactly and where did you find this option in Vistaprints web?

I appreciate your help in advance!

regards,
Santi

ps. btw, thnx cr4zyfortech for posting the instructions.

- Collapse -
Private option in Vistaprint?

Santi,

I logged into my vista website went to the dashboard and chose the public option. I also check into the registrars site and did the same thing. It is a real pain, they should tell you in more explicit terms what the consequences are when you chose different options when buying a domain name.

lriecks1

- Collapse -
where

I looked at the vista dash board and there is no "public option". The only options are:

Edit Website

Site Activity

View Checklist

Manage Email

Manage Forms

Domain Name

Available Resources

Learning Center

Any information would about now, Thanks.

- Collapse -
I couldn't find the privacy off

I've searched and searched the VP website and on my dashboard for the "Privacy Off" and I'm getting nowhere! I just set this up a week ago, and want to change and have GoDaddy pull the domain name. If I just CXL this will I loose the domain name or will it become available again? Or does anyone have advise on how to fix this problem?? Please Help!!!

- Collapse -
Any Luck?

Did you ever found the option "public" or "privacy off"?

- Collapse -
consist

contact the customer service again..again...again...

- Collapse -
Have to pay a $19.99 fee

I called CS and told the rep that I wanted to transfer the name and would pay their $19.99 fee. He added the fee to the online shopping cart. Should take 30-45 min to get an e-mail with a password that will allow me to see the domain options and make the setting public. Will see how it goes from there.

CNET Forums

Forum Info